solved one problem yesterday now another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solved one problem yesterday now another

1980 GS850GL need housing and harness for turn signal and horn. My button broke off this morning. No way to change. It also is having a "i'll work when I want to mood". Does this harness end up in the headlight housing? I am at work and made a quick runn to the bank and had this happen so can not search it out. thanks cj

Re: solved one problem yesterday now another

Yes, the left signal/hi/lo/horn wires run into the headlight shell and plug in to a multi pin connector. I replaced mine with a universal unit from Dennis Kirk.
    I think it was about $50 and came with a great wiring diagram for making the connections. You may find one on ebay for a lot less though.
    I can look up the part number for the Dennis Kirk one if you like.

Earl

Originally posted by cjexotic
    1980 GS850GL need housing and harness for turn signal and horn. My button broke off this morning. No way to change. It also is having a "i'll work when I want to mood". Does this harness end up in the headlight housing? I am at work and made a quick runn to the bank and had this happen so can not search it out. thanks cj
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

yes I would appreciate that. Ebay did not have any.. that was the first place I looked. Now I would not need to put my headlight back on there correct....since I just put it on a toggle? Since I do not know what caused it to overheat in the fuse box. The fuse box is ok now I have the headlight off it. thanks for all your help. I could not believe this after fixing my headlight problem now not even 24 hours later her I am again.
      I love this bike but I think I could love a new one.

Comment

i almost put it on two toggles. 8O But was afraid I would blow the turnsignal relay since it works intermittant between front and rear. Or at least I think that is how it works.

Comment

The Dennis Kirk part number for the switch assembly is 21-0423 and cost is $56.99 in my catalog.

You can leave the headlight on the toggle swith if you wish. It isnt going to hurt anything. Although, I would be inclined to remove the power input wire from your toggle switch and connect it to the power input wire for the headlight on the new switch assembly. Power will still be coming from the same place as it did with using the toggle switch and your new switch assembly is easier to operate than a separate toggle while riding.

yeah, little stuff popping up gets exacerbating after a while. Been there:-)
          Hang in there, eventually you get it wll fixed and will be able to forget it.
          New bikes are nice though. LOL But what would you do with all your free time? :-)

Earl

yes I would appreciate that. Ebay did not have any.. that was the first place I looked. Now I would not need to put my headlight back on there correct....since I just put it on a toggle? Since I do not know what caused it to overheat in the fuse box. The fuse box is ok now I have the headlight off it. thanks for all your help. I could not believe this after fixing my headlight problem now not even 24 hours later her I am again.
          I love this bike but I think I could love a new one.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

i found this one on ebay for a gs1000 which looks just like mine. Could this be interchangeable to mine. The only thing that does not look like mine are the two bullet connectors close to the switch. Not sure what they are for. Do you know? here is the ebay #4564344907. If you would be so kind in looking at it for me before I try to get it? Thanks cj[/img]

Comment

I like this dennis kirk one. Did the pins match up with the orginal connector on the bike? I know there are two connectors in my headlight housing and one I had to cut the old white connector and bullet the wires together as it was all brittle and causing problems a few years ago. So I might have to cut and billet if its not for the existing plug. Did you say it was easy to wire? Do you have the self cancelling part working on your bike? cj

Comment

I changed mine to a GSXR (89 I think). They have the same plug, and the push to cancel feature on the turn signal!

Try searching for turn signal switch

Comment

You can leave the headlight on the toggle swith if you wish. It isnt going to hurt anything. Although, I would be inclined to remove the power input wire from your toggle switch and connect it to the power input wire for the headlight on the new switch assembly. Power will still be coming from the same place as it did with using the toggle switch and your new switch assembly is easier to operate than a separate toggle while riding.
                  Earl, right now I have my headlight on a toggle to the battery. Not understanding what you said when the new switch comes. If I have a off on the toggle but would not on the switch correct. thanks cj

Comment

Just call me brain dead. :-) I neglected to tell you the Dennis Kirk switch assembly has an on/off switch for the headlight and a separate switch for high/low beam.

Earl

Earl, right now I have my headlight on a toggle to the battery. Not understanding what you said when the new switch comes. If I have a off on the toggle but would not on the s
                    witch correct. thanks cj

Comment

i found this one on ebay for a gs1000 which looks just like mine. Could this be interchangeable to mine. The only thing that does not look like mine are the two bullet connectors close to the switch. Not sure what they are for. Do you know? here is the ebay #4564344907. If you would be so kind in looking at it for me before I try to get it? Thanks cj[/img]

Just an FYI....your switch/housing can also be found on these bikes:

1980 GS1000E LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1980 GS1000G LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1980 GS1000GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1980 GS1000S LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1980 GS1100 LT LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1980 GS1100E LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1980 GS850G LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1980 GS850GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1981 GS1000G LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1981 GS1000GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1981 GS1100E LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1981 GS850G LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1981 GS850GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1982 GS1000S LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1982 GS1100E, ES LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1982 GS1100GK LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1982 GS1100GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1982 GS850GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1983 GS1100E, ES LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1983 GS1100GK LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1983 GS1100GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1983 GS1100S LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1983 GS750S LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1983 GS850GL LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1984 GS1100 GKE LEFT HANDLE SWITCH
                      1984 GS1150 ES3,ESE,EF,ESF,EF2,EG,ESG LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (GS1150EF/EF2/EG)
                      1984 GS1150 ES3,ESE,EF,ESF,EF2,EG,ESG LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (GS1150ES3/ESE/ESF)
                      1985 GS1150 ES3,ESE,EF,ESF,EF2,EG,ESG LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (GS1150EF/EF2/EG)
                      1985 GS1150 ES3,ESE,EF,ESF,EF2,EG,ESG LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (GS1150ES3/ESE/ESF)
                      1986 GS1150 ES3,ESE,EF,ESF,EF2,EG,ESG LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (GS1150EF/EF2/EG)
                      1986 GS1150 ES3,ESE,EF,ESF,EF2,EG,ESG LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (GS1150ES3/ESE/ESF)

Comment

Just call me brain dead. I neglected to tell you the Dennis Kirk switch assembly has an on/off switch for the headlight and a separate switch for high/low beam.
                        Well now that makes sense and would clean up my handlebar. Thanks for clearing that up. So there must be two other wires just for the high and low..correct? I would just move the wires from the toggle to the new switch. Does it matter that the power for the headlight is coming direct from the battery (with its own in-line fuse and not off fuse box on bike) and not from the harness? Will that cause me grief? Boy this idea with the one from Dennis kirk is looking like the ticket! \/ thanks cj

Comment

NO, it makes no difference where the switch gets power from since there is an on/off switch on the assembly for the headlight.

the only difference is that with factory setup, when you turn the ignition key off, power is off to the headlight. With your switch assembly wired direct, you can turn the headlight on or of without the ignition being on.
                          You will have to remember to turn you headlight off separately when you turn off the ignition. Otherwise, youre going to come back to you bike to find it has dead battery. :-)

Earl

Just call me brain dead. I neglected to tell you the Dennis Kirk switch assembly has an on/off switch for the headlight and a separate switch for high/low beam.
                          Well now that makes sense and would clean up my handlebar. Thanks for clearing that up. So there must be two other wires just for the high and low..correct? I would just move the wires from the toggle to the new switch. Does it matter that the power for the headlight is coming direct from the battery (with its own in-line fuse and not off fuse box on bike) and not from the harness? Will that cause me grief? Boy this idea with the one from Dennis kirk is looking like the ticket! \/ thanks cj

Comment

Working...
                          X