Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor oil leak now a MAJOR oil leak

ok, lemme see.
    1980 GS 450 L, about 13k miles, runs like a screaming demon.

Had an oil leak around the shifter shaft
    replaced that seal
    now i got a BIG HONKIN oil leak, like, leaves a trail.
    that means no riding, which stinketh.

The oil is coming out from behind the cover where the shifter shaft and countershaft are, i haven't re-removed that cover, but i don't know what else could be leaking that much oil.

if money weren't a problem, then i wouldn't have no more oil leak.
    but it is, can anyone make suggestions on how i can do this on a
    supertight budget?

I don't want to, but if all else fails, I'll have to sell my bike.

But at least then I may have a start on buying one bigger, but i like the one i have.

Your bike is most likely very similar to mine. I have an 82 GS550L, I recently fixed a leak very similar to yours. I had a slow drip but it became a bad one. I replaced all the seals, 3 in all. 1 at the clutch pushrod the one I suspect was leaking as well as two behind the sprocket. The plate that holds the oil seals in was damaged so I replaced that too. I think less than $30 in parts.

Ports

Comment

It's probably the countershaft oil seal, got to pull the sprocket cover and sprocket, I've never worked on a 450, but you should be able to replace it without splitting the case, a half moon retaining ring secures seal, careful not to gouge case removing old seal, dab of hi-temp RTV on new seal outer radius, dab of grease on inner seal lip, slide carefully over sprocket splines to prevent gouging of inner seal lip, tap gently and squarely into place, replace retaining ring, sprocket,chain and cover and you're good to go

Comment

Maybe the seal you put in popped out, split, or was the wrong one. You ought to have a look before you get too worried as it is just a leak.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X