'83 GS1100E Oil Cooler Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100E Oil Cooler Question

Hi... I'm new to the forum, but I've had my 1100 ED since it was new in '83. I originally fitted a Lockhart oil cooler... attached via the oil filter cover. It always leaked at the hose fittings. I'd like to clean things up a bit... I noticed that at the block (next to the oil filter cover) there are two large bolts marked in and out. Can I connect my oil cooler there? What type of fittings would I use?

Do any of the later GS' have a factory oil cooler and connections that I could adapt?

Thanks for any help from the group... I'll post pictures of my GS later this weekend... I think you'll like it

Re: '83 GS1100E Oil Cooler Question

Originally posted by PhiloMcGiffin
    Hi... I'm new to the forum, but I've had my 1100 ED since it was new in '83. I originally fitted a Lockhart oil cooler... attached via the oil filter cover. It always leaked at the hose fittings. I'd like to clean things up a bit... I noticed that at the block (next to the oil filter cover) there are two large bolts marked in and out. Can I connect my oil cooler there? What type of fittings would I use?

Do any of the later GS' have a factory oil cooler and connections that I could adapt?

Thanks for any help from the group... I'll post pictures of my GS later this weekend... I think you'll like it
    I think that the 1150s had the oil cooler that hooks up to those bolts but you need the 1150 oil filter cover to ensure correct oil flow

Comment

Did your cooler come with steel braided hoses and anodized A/N fittings? Mine did, and I used teflon tape on the threads and they've never leaked a drop in 17 years.

Comment

Yes it did... However, the way the fittings are tapped into the oil filter cover, to make them tight you end up interfering with the cover attachment bolts and cap nuts... I'm not sure I explained that correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by PhiloMcGiffin
          Yes it did... However, the way the fittings are tapped into the oil filter cover, to make them tight you end up interfering with the cover attachment bolts and cap nuts... I'm not sure I explained that correctly?
          did you try teflon tape--using various amounts will allow you to controll where the connection ends up--i had the same problem. also, I used auto transmission line for oil line and there is a product for gluing metal to rubber which may help((still used screw type clamps) maybe some other products ill bet.

Comment

I have a Lockhart on my "83" 1100 E and the lines hook in the oil filter cover. I have a "85", & "86" 1150 sitting right beside the 1100, and it looks like everything off the 1150s oil cooler, lines, fittings & all,will hook up perfectly on the 1100

Comment

Working...
            X