450 kinda draggy on takeoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 kinda draggy on takeoff

The 450 is in need of a little umph! when starting off from a dead stop. I can rev it pretty high and get it going, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do that, I mean, I'm not that gigantic of a load! Maybe it's just a function of being a twin, but I don't really remember my GT250 doing that (but it's been one long time since '73). Runs like a top after it's moving.

I may be too used to operating the controls like my 4 cylinder bikes. You know, not allowing for two missing cylinders and not cranking the throttle like I should. Anything to be done for it? Some carb adjustment or sprocket change or something?

Heck, it may be doing exactly what it's supposed to and I don't even know it. I end up chugging it or grinding something lately it seems...

Maybe I just need to really get on that throttle!

YOu do need to get on it to make it leave lights. I'ts not a lot of CC, nor does it fire very frequently. 3-5k is reasonable :-) And becuase it's a twin, it doesn't even sound like it's really working at that rpm.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

It would not hurt to fine tune your low speed mix, often set a little to lean.

Comment

Re: 450 kinda draggy on takeoff

If you've been riding that bandit 12 much, you're probably getting used to the pull and consequently getting the feeling the 450 is rather tame in the acceleration department. :-) The Bandit pulls away from a light like a tractor. :-)

Otherwise, it likely isnt anything more than needing a wee bit of carb tuning. A little off on 1 cylinder when you only have two is going to make a big difference. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Desolation Angel
        The 450 is in need of a little umph! when starting off from a dead stop. I can rev it pretty high and get it going, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do that, I mean, I'm not that gigantic of a load! Maybe it's just a function of being a twin, but I don't really remember my GT250 doing that (but it's been one long time since '73). Runs like a top after it's moving.

I may be too used to operating the controls like my 4 cylinder bikes. You know, not allowing for two missing cylinders and not cranking the throttle like I should. Anything to be done for it? Some carb adjustment or sprocket change or something?

Heck, it may be doing exactly what it's supposed to and I don't even know it. I end up chugging it or grinding something lately it seems...

Maybe I just need to really get on that throttle!
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

OK, guys, I'm gonna play with the carburetors Saturday. If I rev real high, it does jump and go, I just was doubting I needed to rev so high.

Thanks.

Wonder if it'll run after I screw with it?! 8O

Comment

My GS450S will jump off the line, not like a Bandit 1200, but all it needs is about 2500rpm and dump the clutch. Wind to about 5k and I'm in front of all the cars, except for the Mustangs and Corvettes who can't stand to be beaten off the line by a little twin. The carbs have the spacer removed from the slides to raise the needle a little (yes, removing the spacer raises the needle) and the pilot screws have been exposed so I can tweak them, currently at about 2 turns out. Stock jets - 115 main and 17.5 pilot. Stock airbox and exhausts. Also, the S models have two extra teeth on the rear sprocket compared to the L models. I think the sprockets are 16 front/ 45 rear.

Comment

I've decided that I'm just not aggressive enough with the revs. Never needed to be with 4-bangers, but I launch pretty impressively around 3000 rpm.

Over revving is something I've always avoided, not wanting to unnecessarily strain my engines. But I must adapt!

Comment

Working...
              X