Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 Carbs won't clean!

No matter what I do, I can't get this passage clean in my float bowls:

I keep dipping and spraying and cleaning to no avail. Suggestions?

try spraying in the top hole... also use a paperclip or piece of wire and run it through the hole

Comment

450 carbs won't clean

Referring to your picture: the pencil point is pointing to the choke reservoir, the spray can is in the passage that feeds the choke reservoir.

You can use a piece of wire or a cotton bud to clear them. Some folks have suggested using a piece of nylon fishing line or a bristle from a broom. Compressed air will sometimes shift blockages.

My usual method is to use a drill bit which is the correct size and to rotate it with my fingers. This clears out the accumulated crud. Soak and or spray it afterwards until the spray will pass through it.

Don't worry about enlarging anything. Just make sure there are no residual bits left in the reservoir or the passageway which could block the choke pickup.

Comment

Got it. Just soaked the bastards in the chem dip for about two hours.

Then I could clear the passages. I was worried that it was another way that the 450 carbs were different than the rest.

Now I need to figure out where to find another set of o-rings for the pilot air screw. Robert Barr's set was useless with these carbs, and the originals are shot. The o-ring I need doesn't show up on the schematic.

Comment

Yup, thats the choke pickup. There is a little brass orifice pressed into the bottom of that shaft. Best thing is go to the hardware store and buy a wire scrub brush, take a pair of pliers and pull a hank of the bristles out and use one bristle to poke through. Use the bristle on your other float bowl first to make sure it fits, you don't really want to enlarge that orifice. I also use these bristles to poke out the pilot jets and the little bypass holes that live in the venturi under the throttle valve. Berkibile 2+2 Gum Cutter will help as well, its the only carb cleaner left that the EPA apparently hasn't rendered useless.

Comment

I use a twisty tie wire stripped out of the paper to clean that choke passage.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Please let me know if you find the o-rings. I bought a set off of Barr, but like you found them all useless for the 450.

Comment

I found some luck by going to my local Suzuki dealership with all the spent o-rings I had. They replaced them with reasonable facsimilies.

Comment

Working...
                X