1980 GS550E Points and Condensors Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550E Points and Condensors Question

Just received this bike, and am getting ready to take a 450 mi trip on it. I'd like to make sure points and condensors will make the trip. Is there any way to know if I need to file my points down or not? Also, does anybody know the spec for the points gap? I can't seem to find this anywhere on the net. Also, what are signs that they need to be adjusted? Finally, how often should they be adjusted?

Thanks for your help!

OSUENGINEERBK

If your bike really is a '80 it will not have points but electronic ignition.
    Points gap for my 1000 is 0.3 to 0.4 mm, they have to be set every 5000 km (or about 3000 miles)
    If the faces of the points where they touch eachother are not flat they need to be replaced or smoothed if you like.
    If there is lot of sparking at the points themselves it's time for (a) new condensor(s).

Comment

regarding posted comment

title says 1980. i think the serial number lines up that way also. where would i look to find if it had the electronic ignition? is it under the same place the points and condensers were located on the earlier models? if that's the case, should I not need to worry at all about firing assuming coils and wires are good etc? please advise. thanks,

osuengineerbk

Comment

Re: regarding posted comment

Originally posted by osuengineerbk
        title says 1980. i think the serial number lines up that way also. where would i look to find if it had the electronic ignition? is it under the same place the points and condensers were located on the earlier models? if that's the case, should I not need to worry at all about firing assuming coils and wires are good etc? please advise. thanks,

osuengineerbk
        Easy way to see if it's the first model or the "modern" sorry.... one is too look at the carburettors, if the tops of them are round you have electronic ignition, if they are sort of elongated you have a bike with points ignition. I know carbs and ignitions don't have a connection, they just changed both of those with the update.

Comment

Working...
        X