No announcement yet.

fitting barells over new rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pretty interesting. couldnt imagine getting a complete engine teardown and assembly done in 16 hours in the best circumstances, and Im not counting pulling the engine from the bike even

the automotive industry is similar, they give warranty times so low on some stuff you've exceeded it by the time ya get the rack set practically. 2 tenths? I can't find the damn car in 2 tenths!

Comment

Nick is obviously the god of GS service.

Comment

Hmm, sounds like he has good experience to me, I was just coming back to say that my top end is now together, and the insight into what might need done from this thread helped me not be at all suprised by what was going on.

I used the clamp/wood block method for the inner pistons, but my clamps sucked, the liners pushed em down before the ring entered the taper- scratch the clamps.

at that point I used my fingers and a jewelers screwdriver to persuade the rings to slip quietly into their grooves, and the weight of the barrels slowly eased em into the bore.

inner two done, slipped out the wood blocks and moved assembly a little to raise outer pistons, and at that point I just used my fingers, lined up the pistons and one by one pinched the rings in.

two people coulda had it done in a couple minutes, probably took me 15 minutes to get all 4 sets in, and the cylinders settled on the block. I took my time and it went easily.

thanks all you guys for your input, I think I considered all of it before actually doing this.best part is it wasnt even my question initially

Comment

Originally posted by fgh
          Nick is obviously the god of GS service.
          If you wish to think of me as such, I have no objection.

Comment

When I bored out my thou' there were no tapers left on the liners. I had no option but to fit the pistons to the block on the bench (engine was still in the frame), and then lower the whole block onto the studs and then fit the gudgeon pins and circlips. I was told it couldn't be done this way, but it can....and by one person, but wasn't fun, I spent a whole evening lying on the workshop floor and my nerves were in shreds by the end.

Comment

As this question was originally posted by me (believe it or not) I thought I would conclude with and update.

I used the ?Nick method? as I will coin it. 2 people 2 sets of screw drivers followed by a bongo session on the barrels. Worked a treat!!!

Many thanks for the help.

Scott.

Comment

sorry if I hijacked your thread, but it was all on-topic anyway, was just a coincidence we were doing the same thing at the same time.

glad yours went smoothly for you, I woulda loved to have had a second person.

Comment

It's all good.

Your own experience was as useful as all of the rest. After your experience I decided against purchsing ring clamps.

Best wishes,

Scott.

Comment

Having just completed this awful job, I think the best way is to use both wooden blocks AND 4" hose clamps. The hose clamps fit over all the rings perfectly, and all I had to do was loosen them slightly and tap the cylinder down over the pistons. They fell right into place. Once I followed this method, the whole job took less than an hour.

Comment

have used a piece of sheet metal and hose clamps as a compressor. I oiled the metal real good to allow the rings to slide. The screwdriver method is risky, and you might get cut off the rings .
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Large zipties like air conditioning installers use work great.

Comment

My only problem with zip-ties is that if they come off or get crooked, you have to cut them and start all over again. The hose clamps allow you to loosen and re-tighten them if things get sideways. I know from experience this will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace
                            My only problem with zip-ties is that if they come off or get crooked, you have to cut them and start all over again.
                            I used them with no problem on my bike. They come in a reusable variety.

Comment

Working...
                            X