GS550L seat removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L seat removal

Hi all! How the heck do you remove the seat on a 1981 GS550L?! The manual says that there's some clips on the left hand side of the frame but I cant see anything! Please someone help cos I want to get the seat recovered!
    Many thanks,
    Steve.

I can't speak for your particilar seat as I don't know if it's the same as mine. I have a '80 GS550L and at the back of my seat there is a lock. It takes the same key as my ignition key. Tune the lock and pull out, it will pop our like a button, then you can lift the back of the seat up and pull towards the back and it will come off.

Comment

I took the seat off my 550T when I got it. There is a lock at the back, and 2 slide in clips up by the tank. Unlock it, then lift the back and slide it backwards. If you dont have the key (like I didnt) then unbolt the rear fender and turn signals and try to get a socket up under the seat to unbolt the lock from the seat. There were 2 bolts and they were 10mm on my bike, dont know what it was in standard size. Hope this helps.
      Gavin

Comment

my gs450L is connected by the two bolts that hold the back turn signals on to the fender..these have to be taken off then the seat just comes off.

Comment

Thanks guys! There is just a small hole (about 1" dia) at the back of the seat, is this where the lock would normally be? All I can see through the hole is what appears to be a square bolt head. Should I try and undo this?

Comment

Maybe, the lock may have been broken and not replaced.
            Fish around in there with a torch & a bit of wire, the mechanisem may still be in there.
            The lock operated a lever & rod!

Comment

Working...
            X