RPM's query?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM's query?

Last night my wife and I went for a ride through some hilly, twisty type roads. Since this was only the second time we've ridden together, this time I was able to pay attention to the performance of my 1100L instead worrying whether we were going to crash or not . (we've already been there and done that) When I'm solo on the bike, cruising at 55-60 MPH, my RPM's are at about 3700. Last night with a full load, (neither one of us is a Kenyan Marathoner if you know what I mean ) cruising at the same speed our RPM's were anywhere from 3000 to 3200. Without getting too technical could someone tell me if that is okay or am I looking at some clutch issues here? Thanks, Pete

Dosen't really make sense, unless your clutch is slipping, but you would notice more clutch slip two-up rather than solo, but you said your rpms were lower riding two up. I guess unless you tend to wind up the throttle a lot while solo.

Basically, unless your clutch slips, your bike in gear will be direct linked to the road. That means that no matter what the load, or steepness of the road, or anything should change your rpms at a given speed.

Can't explian it. You're welcome for all the help!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If you had two different tach readings at the same speed on two different occasions like you say I would suggest two things. If the tach speed was higher loaded, say, going up hill it could be a clutch issue. But if I understand correctly you said your RPM's were lower with the bike loaded. That is not really an indication of clutch slippage. That sounds to me like you have an intermitantly inacurate gauge, either the speedo or the tach. One simple thing you could try, is unscrew the cables where they go into the tach and speedo gauges and squirt some motor oil in each one. Maybe like 2 or 3 tablespoons, and try that. Maybe the cable is stiff and causing some bounce in the gauges. Also, your clutch lever should have a small amount of free play. I don't know how much exactly but say about 3/8 inch measured at the outer end of the lever.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

For diagnostic purposes (as well as fun) take the bike out solo again. See if the revs are 3700 or still 3000-3200. I (and many others) have had tachs that went south. The symptoms are they don't get up to actual engine speed nor do they return quickly to zero.

Comment

Working...
        X