FRONT BRAKE PERFORMANCE ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRONT BRAKE PERFORMANCE ?

I m not satisfied with my front brakes on my GS850 It is very weak, the lever sometimes touch the grips and it feels like it has air in the fluid, but I m sure it hasn't.
    I changed the old almost ruined master cylinder with a used but in good condition from a katana and took out any air very carefully a few days later.My pads are still making noise always and I wonder si that right? I know that when they are new it is normal to hear that but it should stop sometime. I forgot to mention that brakes get a a lot worse when they are hot, a quite dangerous thing when I go a little faster.
    I guess my next steps is to clean out the calipers, change the seals of the pistons and maybe change tha rubber wires with metal, high pressure wires.
    But if these don't imrove the braking more than 5-10% let's say, I m thinking of looking for disks or even calipers
    --I saw EBC diskplates for 190$ each--are they really better than the original?
    --I also visit AP racing site after reading that they have LOCKHEED brakes
    in the Links of this site but didn't find any "lockheed" there.--Does anybody knows about that?

Sound's like the pad's are not retracting correctly, a good clean out may fix this.
    Stainless lines are great, get some.
    The old rubber lines actually balloon out, this can create the problem you are having with your brake lever.
    Also even when you think you have all the air out of a system, there may be a pocket left in there!

Comment

Thanks gspaul, I m gonna install those metal lines as soon as I can.
      But I wonder if I should stay with that "1 line to 2 lines" through this "T" shaped part, or instead have 2 lines coming from the master cylinder.
      Is there any difference in the performance of those two systems?

--Another question is what do you mean by"retracting correctly" , about the pads.
      (sorry, but english is not my mother language and some words are not that clear to me)

Comment

Yes there is a difference, go with the 2 lines from the master cylinder, better performance.
        By retracting I mean this, there is actually nothing there to pull the pad's back off the disk , so if the calipers are dirty, or the seal's are sticking, the pad's can still have a slight contact with the disc's, causing noise and generating heat that reduces brake performance.
        My brakes are well set up now, only takes two fingers for an emergancy stop.

Comment

Even with the single line and "T" setup, I have great two finger braking with my braided lines. But I was suggested to use two lines off the master from a few folks, mostly due to cost (one less line- two less banjos).
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Well, you got me thinking Jethro.
            Did a search and could not come up with any solid fact's.
            Quote's from some supplier's are as follows,

Increases feel due to less fluid movement.
            Gives slightly better braking performance.
            The two line system gives a direct route to the calpers, will not put pressure on one side before the other.

Ok, nothing set in concrete there!
            The only fact that came up was that the ACU ,that's the governing body for motorcycle racing in the UK, made it a rule that the bike's must have the 2 line system.
            But no mention of why!

Comment

Working...
            X