kawasaki shim vs suzi shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kawasaki shim vs suzi shims

hello, i know kawasaki shims are .5mm smaller then suzi shims but do they look any diffrent? am i going through my 1000 project and i have two shims in there that look diffrent then the rest, they have hard edges where all the other shims i have from both the motors i have all have shims that have the edges slightly tapered.

i wanted to know if they are just some sort of other brand then suzuki shims and are ok to use? i could try and measure these shims to see if they are 29.5 but i don't really trust my cheap caliper or my measureing.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

I also found that slight difference between different shims. The ones in my bike, were slightly tapered, and some at the shop were not. However, when i ordered a brand new Suzuki shim, the edges were not tapered. my engine is still running :roll:

Just be careful not to use the Yamaha shims, as they are the ones that are .5mm smaller. But, you can see the difference by eye when you hold them besides suzi shims.

POOT

Comment

No, as far as I know Suzuki over bucket shims are all unto themselves and will not interchange with any other shims from any other brand of bike. Suzuki over bucket shims are blueish in color and have a beveled edge. If you have gray sharp edged shims in your motor I would see if they fit properly, or better yet I would just change them out for shims that you know are Suzuki.

Comment

Poot, I may have been out of the loop for too long, did these shims come in a bag with a Suzuki part number on it?

Comment

I believe so (my memorys not too sharp>) I ordered it from the dealer, and it was one of the older guys, rather than the young twats at the counter.

I'm pretty sure it came in a really small envelope like thing, with part numbers on it. I will check when I get home.

However though, I am intrigued.........

Comment

There are aftermarket shims that look different, but they fit and work perfectly.

The shims you can order for $5 each from Cycle Recycle II are aftermarket. I've never seen a new Suzuki shim, but the used ones I have are more polished looking and you can see the colors from the heat treating process. The aftermarket shims from CRC2 are a uniform matte gray.

I've used them for many thousands of miles and they still look new.

I've never noticed a difference in the relative sharpness of the edges, but who knows.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

OK, thanks. I've never seen an aftermarket shim and had no idea that they were being made. I've got so dang many shims for the 80's bikes I guess I never had to look anywhere but my tool box.

Comment

Years ago, I was given 2 Kawasaki shims by mistake. When I got home I noticed they were not just smaller diameter, but had the sharper edge like you say and were more gray colored and the number stamped on them was a different style.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was informed by my local bike shop that the only difference between those with beveled edges and those without is that the beveled are easier to get out of the buckets, the important difference is if they are 29 or 29.5 mm.

Luke

Comment

I'm almost positive that the Suzuki and Kawasaki shims are both 29.5 mm.

I know for a fact that yamaha's are 29.

Comment

The Yamaha and Kaw 8 valve over bucket shims are interchangeable, its the Suzuki thats is by itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X