Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Buildup on carb exterior

Hi all,

Just a quickie here. There are two circular metal pieces on carbs (they have no apparent function ... ) e1 and 4, that seem to get a buildup growing on them since I cleaned them. It existed before, but didnt think it was a problem.

Do you guys know whats going on, and how this could affect my bike?

Thanks.

POOT

Poot, do you mean the welsh plugs at the end of the throttle plate shaft?

Comment

I believe so..... now that i've looked at the parts diagram, there appears to be gaskets inside.

On both sides, it looks like someone banged them up a bit , since the metal is depressed in the middle.

Are these easy to remove, or possible to remove while carbs are still on?

what effects could this have?

POOT

Comment

I've never had to remove these or seen them cause a problem if rusty. These are just "dust caps" I guess to keep crud out of the rotating shaft that the throttle plates are mounted to. I'm guessing here, even though I've cleaned hundreds of sets of carbs I've never given these metal plugs a thought. You say there is a gasket below the plug? The plugs are available seperatly? Are we sure we are talking about the same part?

Comment

Heres the Link:

Part #13 is the cap, and then there are things under it.

I also never gave them a thought, but after I cleaned them , and it reappeared, it brought it to my attention.

Comment

Yep, thanks for the blow up, I really remember these carbs now. This dirty, varnishey buildup on this part seems normal. I guess its a small amount of fuel collecting and running down the shaft and eventually escaping and collecting dirt as well as drying to a varnish on the carb exterior. Unless its excessive I wouldn't worry about it for a second. If you look in between the carbs I think you'll find a similar build up on each boss where the throttle shaft passes in and out of each carb.

Comment

Working...
            X