Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your preferred/favorite chain brand and type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your preferred/favorite chain brand and type?

Hi guys, woulda been great to post a poll or something, but I'm curious:

What's your favorite brand of chain and type of chain?

I'm really well undecided in what I should use for my 530 conversion. I've got enough time to get everything finished now and need some pushing in the right direction

is there anywhere I could find out how to rewire an aftermarket signal flasher to my bike? The previous owner thought it looked cool without signals and removed them (cutting the wires, of course >), and now they're totally nonfunctional.

I've always gone with DID chains when I was running a 630 setup. I only really changed things becasue of lack of maintainence, so they are great quality.

I don't know if you followed my other thread, but my 83 1100E had a 530 chain conversion on it when I got it. The prev. owner said it only had a couple thousand miles on it. It was an EK chain with JT sprockets and if the PO was honest about mileage, I only got about 4000 miles on it before I need to replace it (like this week). It was a 15/42 combo, and I believe that was the cause of the excessive wear was the front cog size. After I got the bike I checked alignment (string method), made sure it was installed correctly, and kept the tension perfect. I'd recommend at least a 16 tooth cog up front. I'm going with an 18/50 set, and I'll use a DID chain for it. I like the idea of a larger cog to distribute the load. Oh also, the 15 tooth cog allowed the chain to chew up the swingarm a little, even at perfect tension. When I was off the throttle on a bumpy road, it clanged the swingarm. Get at least a 16t.

I've used a cheap car flasher on both my bikes. Wire it between the switch and the signals. $1.49 at Pep Boys.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

yeah, i've already got sprockets-- i got a 17 and a 48. (preserves the ratio on the '79 GS750E)

Comment

Nice, that'll work out well.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I am really impressed with the generic Parts Unlimited X ring chain from Dennis Kirk. I've used R+K and Tsubaki and this Xring stuff has lasted longest with the absolute mimimum adjustment needed. It's a Japanese chain rated at 9100lbs tensile strength, maximum engine size 900cc.

Comment

Prefer Tsubaki over RK. Right now I'm running a Gold Regina that I'm really happy with.

Comment

Regina. Best chain I've had in 20 plus years of riding.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

DID, Tsubaki, and Regina are all above reproach. I happen to have an AFAM 530 endless chain and sprockets on my 1980 GS550E and they're running just fine. Still havent' had to adjust it after 6000 miles.

Comment

Working...
                X