Radio installation in GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently purchased a 84 GS1100GK and I saw the picture of Mark Summers ride. I purchased a used Cycle sound radio housing on Ebay and I intend to mount it on my ride. My question is related to the charging system of the bike. Will I have to worry about draining my battery dry if I take the bike on long 3-4 hr rides with the radio on? What should I look for or better yet, what should I plan ahead so I am not left with a dead battery or worse? I have a Battery Tender at home that I keep the bike on, but that wont help me on a long ride. Thanks in advance. This website is truly great. I have learned so much in reading old questions and the answers given.

Don't the big bikes have guages? I would just check to see if the battery voltage was above 12Volts while riding. You could also get an ammeter to see how much current is charging or discharging your battery. Personally I wouldn't worry about the battery, it should be fine with a big bike like that charging it. I am more concerned about putting a heated vest on my bike since I think it may drain my wussy electrical system.

Also, be sure to wire the radio so that it turns off with the key. Otherwise you may have turn the volume down while riding and then leave it on when you get off of the bike since you can't hear it.

Steve

Comment

I have a cycle sound system on my GS850 I do not have any charging problems with it. Only problem is if your radio has memory function (2 power leads) which draws minimal currrent but it will in time 2-3 days lower battery voltage enough to make starting questionable. just put toggle sw on power leads of the radio to completely turn off power. I run mine directly off the accessory fuse (battery) not thru the wiring harness. so you have to remember to turn it off

Comment

I have a cycle sound on my GK also, and never had a problem with memory running down my battery. the charging system should hold it without any problem. Just for good measure, I installed a voltmeter in the lower right hand side panel of the fairing, but have never seen it go down at all because of radio use. Just make sure you hook the main power wire to an accesory fuse and not just to the battery or other 'always hot' area so it shuts off when you turn off the key.

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone, I knew that someone else had the same set up and I will be sure to wire it to acc. and not straight thru to battery.

Comment

Many moons ago I had a full vetter setup on my 850G and never had a problem with the Cycle Sound radio setup. But keeping the heads aligned in the cassette player was another story. I seem also to remember a radio setup that was mounted in one of the side compartments. Maybe that would reduce vibration. But don't worry about the current draw.
            GY

Comment

charging

I can see where people should use both a voltmeter and an ammeter. They each measure something different. As such both will tell you what is going on, if you add additional things to your bike.

I have added a new ground wire, that leads up to my fairing, (82 GS1100GK), a new Hot lead to the fairing, an ammeter. I will be adding a voltmeter, and a new hot lead, ignition connected this weekend.

Hmmmm..........sounds like I should check out the Stator Papers and ungrade !!!!

Comment

Battery load

I have a 81 850G with a stereo/tape. It's not the radio that draws the current, but the tape player.
                I installed a Radio Shack voltmeter and have been watching the system volts. My original stator was good but the regulator was bad. Replaced it with Electrex and now 13.2 volts. I think I can watch the voltage at cruise (2500 rpm or better) and load the system one thing at a time until the voltage reaches 12.2 . At this voltage level I feel the regulator is operating at it's maximum.
                Replacing the running lights with LED type bulbs and a headlight that is 55w low and 100 watt high will give a low continuous load and a high beam that will work good.

Comment

Where did you get the LED's ?

I have been wondering about using the new "bright" white light in my headlight .

Comment

LED Lamps

I used the red LED bulbs from Auto Zone. Replaced the tail/brake lamp and 4ea lamps in the Vetter tail trunk. I do not know how to replace the headlamp with something legal. The flasher for the turn signals will not work with the LED's, but I think I could add the LED's to the front signal housing and use a single filament bulb for turn. This would change the front running lights to LED's and further reduce the continuous load. The only other lamp to replace would be the liscense plate lamp but I have not found a LED lamp that will fit.

Comment

take a look at sylvanias newest bulb called the silverstar (HID type light from a halogen bulb)

Comment

Originally posted by Don Watson
                        take a look at sylvanias newest bulb called the silverstar (HID type light from a halogen bulb)
                        I am using the silverstars in my car and bike, and they are a good improvement, much whiter light and greater visibility.

a common misconception is to reduce the load on the charging system of these bike, that actually increases the load on the regulator.
                        the charging system on these bikes regulate the charge rate by shunting excess power to ground.
                        that is why pre-80 bikes and bikes sold outside the US kill one phase of the stator when the headlight is turned off, the regulator over heats trying to shunt the extra amperage produced with the headlight turned off.

Comment

Radio Installation

Thanks for the info on the charging system. I will try the Siverstar in my headlamp.

Stephen

Comment

SteveR: You may be able to find an LED compatible flasher at a transport shop. It's too bad there are companies selling cheap lights that won't blink.

Steve

Comment

It's not due to cheap lights, it is due to not using an electronic flasher instaed of an older-style metal-contacted type. Most auto parts houses have an electronic flasher for under $5. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X