Power loss problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power loss problem

Well, I took my bike out for the 1st time this weekend (after buying it, cleaning the carbs, checking/oiling the clutch, changing the oil, and draining/cleaning the gas tank), and I have a bit of a problem...

It ran fine at lower (less than 50-55mph) speeds, but at freeway speed, it would run for a while, then gradually loose power untill I would be going 25-30mph with the throttle wide open. I tried different fuel valve settings (on, prime and reserve) and different gears (4, 5, and 6). Same problem. If I stopped for a few minutes, or slowed down to 25, it would 'fix itself', but after a few more minutes at speed, it was back... So I got off the freeway, and had no trouble between 45-50 the rest of the way to and from where I was going... Weather was around 60 degrees F.

This morning, I decided to ride to work. The speed limits between home and work are 35-45mph, so I thought 'no problem with the speed issue'. Well, I got a few blocks from home and... It was happening at 25mph in 2nd gear. This time, the bike lost so much power that it stalled repeatedly while in gear. The electronics worked fine (Starter cranked, and I was able to re-start after stalling), but I didn't want to be any later for work, so I turned around, went home, got the Trans Am, and went to work... The weather was 45-50 degrees F, and I had let the bike run 1-3min on idle before riding.

I am still running on the old air filter (black oiled foam) and spark plugs, and I did install a new battery.

Any suggestions?

Don't know what it could be since you did all that cleaning of the tank and carbs, etc., but it sure sounds like it is starving for gas. Check to make sure the petcock filter screen is not blocked.

Comment

Re: Power loss problem

Originally posted by Dave_A
      Well, I took my bike out for the 1st time this weekend (after buying it, cleaning the carbs, checking/oiling the clutch, changing the oil, and draining/cleaning the gas tank
      Any suggestions?
      What year and model is your bike?

Comment

You might add an inline fuel filter if you haven't already. There may still be some garbage floating around in the tank that got knocked lose during the cleaning.

Comment

Details

More Info:

It's an 82 GS450T

I don't have an inline filter, but the in-tank filter was clean when I re-installed it and the petcock (I disassembled the petcock & cleaned it with carb cleaner as part of my pre-starting cleanup).

Comment

Check fuel Flow rate from you petcock in all positions.If it doesn't flow atleast a quart in 1 minute take petcock apart and find the prob.Your problem is probably fuel but check connections on ign,kill switch,fuse box,coil 12 volt connectors and plug leads.There is a Remote possibility the ignitor is bad.
            :roll:

Comment

Update

Well, I thought 'Maybe burning a can of B-12 in the gas will fix this...', so I bought some, and went to the gas station (2 blocks away) to fill my tank and pour it in. I was almost there (.5 block), when I lost power (as described before).

I couldn't get running well enough to ride, so I pushed the bike in, dumped 1 16oz can of B-12 in, filled up with 93 octane gas (the 2 gal I had put in to start with was 87), and started up.

Well, the B-12 seems to have worked, as I was then able to do 20min of freeway riding without a single problem. Got up to 60MPH (which my bike wouldn't do yesterday), then down to 35, then back up (traffic) w/o a hitch.

The only thing to concern me now is weather or not it will stay working when the B-12 gas is burned up. That will take a while, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Comment

You said you cleaned the carbs but it still sounds fuel starved and if everything else is right then you may not have gotton them clean enough. Also if B-12 is carb cleaner don't use it anymore. Carb cleaner is bad for carbs. Its OK to clean them with it but not to let it set in there even diluted with gas. Carb cleaner will attack the rubber O rings in the carbs. Use Fuel injection cleaner instead. It will not attack the O Rings. Also if you dont have to dont use the 93 octane gas anymore. Its not needed. Find some 89 and you should be good. Take the plugs out and clean or replace them. You may have fouled them out. Clean or replace that air filter as well. That may be more important than the plugs.

Comment

Working...
                X