78 GS850 Front brakes locked up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS850 Front brakes locked up

I just got a call from my friend who has a 78 GS850. He told me the front brakes locked up. Sounds like a brake rebuild is in order.
    Where do I get the parts? Pads I can find; where can I find the kits to rebuild the calipers?
    Thanks, kk

Before you rebuild the calipers, make sure that you've checked and cleaned your master cylinder. Sometimes with a locked brake, the problem is not with the caliper at all, the passages that release pressure at the master cylinder can malfunction or get blocked.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that first. I doubt that he has changed the fluid since he bought the bike earlier this year.

Comment

Did he just put brake pads on? If the caliper slide pins are not bolted on correctly they will bind things up. There is a flat side on the slide pin flange that needs to meet up with a flat on the caliper housing.

Comment

The front brake on my GS 1100 started tightening up, on the way home last sat. I stopped at a buddy's house, borrowed a screwdriver, and pryed the two halves of the brake caliper apart. didn't touch the front brake again, & all was well the rest of the way home. At home I took one of the four slide pins out, & it looked pretty grungy. I cleaned it greased it, put grease in the hole it goes in, and put it back in. One at a time, I removed, cleaned, & greased all four of them. Everything back to normal, brakes working fine. I'd heard this could happen, but it's the first time I've seen it.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
          X