brake light always on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake light always on?

I have a 1980 GS 550L and it seems that the rear brake light or stop lamp is always on? I am waiting on replacement pads for the rear brakes to come in but can someone tell me if the swith is just out of adjustment or what? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks. :?

You have two brake switches, front and back, disconect one a a time to see which one is the problem
    Yes the are adjustable, and more often than not it's the front one,you will have to clean it out and adjust it.

Comment

switch located on the bottom side of the front master cyl

Comment

Thanks

You were right! My front brake switch was bad. I tried cleaning the contacts and putting it back together but it still was always on. Oh well, just took it out of the circuit for now. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

On the front brake light switch,loosen the 2 screw's that hold it on and you can slide it a little ,that is your adjustment.

Comment

okay

Okay, I will try that again tomorrow and see if that will help. I take it that you have to squeeze in the brake lever to get the button and contact back into place or not? Thanks

Comment

I just replaced my brake switch. costs 22 bucks at the dealer but it was worth it for piece of mind. I used my back brake way too much to warn I was stopping. If you go the new switch route just make sure you put the electrical contact in the same way. I believe the post that slided back and forth starts on the little round plastic pad. Also, make sure you loosen and turn over the brake lever. Without gravity on your side you will pull your hair out trying to get the part in. Check out bikebandit.com under OEM parts. there is a diagram of the brake there and you can order the parts there too.

Comment

Another option replace the duel banjo bolt on the forks with a hyd
                switch made by K&L Supply

Comment

Okay, I turned over the whole brake lever and fluid resevoir to put the switch back together and get it adjusted. Seems to work fine now with the exception that I have no front brake pressure on the lever! Could it be that by turning it over I got air into the system?

Comment

Yes! You will have to blead the brakes I would blead it at the master cyl first

Comment

Sorry I have not been around for a while,yes fraid so, I allways just work from under.
                      Save's running the risk of getting air in the system.

Comment

Working...
                      X