HELP!!!! Smoking wires on 79 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!!! Smoking wires on 79 GS850G

Ok first off the vitals. Te bike is a 1979 GS850G Shafty. The bike as of late has been great and a blast to ride. I took it out Friday morning with no problems. Left town for a few days, Got back Monday afternoon and didnt touch it. I got up early this moring and took it to the store. Everythign was fine, At the store I filled the tank and hit the start button and got the old rrrRRRrrr---------------rrrRRRrrr, I kicked it over and she fired right up so I continued to my parents house. Everythign was great. Visited for a bit and went to leave, Got on the bike, hit the button and got rrrRRRrrr-----------rrrRRRrrr, Kicked it over agan and she fired right up. Got home, Lifted the seat to see if maybe my battery was low, I keep the battery on a battery tender 24-7. With the seat up I turned it over and got the same result. However the Negitive battery cable was smoking "literaly". There is one thick cable that gose from the battery to the battery box bolt as a ground, That is not the smoking cable, The one that is smoking is the one that gose from the neg side of the battery to somwhere under the gas tank. It got verry hot and there was even a little smoke that came from uner the tank somwhere. I have yet to lift the tank and look but should be on that tomorow, Can anyone give me an idea of what to look for or maybe what could have gone wrong? AS stated before there was not one thing wrong with the bike before this happened, She was runing like the day she was built,

strong possibility of a short in the starter.
    remove the ground cable (it goes down to the back of the engine) inspect it for melted insulation and replace it if you find any, clean the mounting point at the back of the engine.
    also inspect the battery positive cable to the starter relay and from the relay to the starter.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm Thanks for the info but I took a look see thismorning and could not find a ground wire going to the back of the motor. There is one thick wire going right to a battery box bolt witch looks like your standard ground and there is another little wire going into the wireharness witch is unfortunatly all sealed up so I have no clue where it comes out. I checked the positive line and no problems there. After playing with it I found the wires going to the left hand controls were warm and sence that is the last thing I worked on before this happened I took them off to see if I found anything but all was well

Comment

OMG I am such a moron LOL I was looking at the bike stumped as I ever was and wigled the large ground cable that gose to the battery box and my goodness it was loose how did that happen? Hmmmm anyway I tightened the 10mm bolt down and problem solved. Thanks a million everyone

Comment

Working...
        X