gear shifter rod oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear shifter rod oil leak

I have a 1980 GS 850L. There is an oil leak (I am certain it is not gear oil) coming from where the shifter rod goes into the engine. I want to replace the part that is supposed to seal that area, but can't find it on any schematic. I was on a bike trip recently (700+ miles) and lost a lot of oil. Maybe this will be a winter project. The smell of burning oil isnt the greatest either!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    David

Shaft, gear shifting oil seal 09285-12002

Comment

Not a winter project, but.....

You'll have to drain the oil, remove the both engine covers and clutch basket; tap the shifter rod enough to remove old seal & replace with new. A sharp screw (drywall screw) may ease the extraction of the seal. A new one simply taps in.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Allow an afternoon. This is a good time to change oil, and replace clutch plates if needed.

SV

Comment

If you are the least bit mechanical Just remove the gearshift lever, remove the cover. Pop the old seal out, drive a new seal in. Make sure to clean the shift shaft & oil it first. Get a length 1/2" maybe 5/8" pipe to drive the seal in

Comment

seal removal

I ordered the part yesterday. I will tell you how it all goes when I get to work on it. So you think I need to remove the clutch basket to get out the seal? I thought it was to the left of the basket. I replaced the clutch plates 2 months ago..otherwise it would have been fun to open it up again.

David

Comment

Where did you order the part from and how much was it. When I changed my sprocket and chain I noticed mine looks like it's leaking too. Only a few drops when I ride, but annoying when I park. And can you replace it just by taking that left cover off only?

Comment

parts

I ordered it online from BikeBandit.com for $1.80, plus $4 shipping, so I picked up some other things I needed also. The left side cover doesnt play into getting it out. The seal is below any cover on the left side. You would need to take off the right side cover only.

Comment

Hmm.. Could you post a link to the Bike Bandit page where you found yours? I wanna see if I thinking of the same thing you are before I start ripping into stuff Thanks a bunch!

Comment

parts

I didn't see it on the schematic, but someone directed it to me. For $1.80 I will try it. I will wait till it arrives before I tear it apart.

David

Comment

parts

Ahhh, most wise of you!! Because of where they stuck the part on the shaft, I had overlooked it. I was looking on the other end.

David

Comment

Thanks, Lyn. So... you can get the old seal off without having to tear apart anything more than take the shift assembly off and the cover that covers this and the sprocket, etc. If that's the case this looks like a 15 minute job.... :?

Comment

Just make sure to clean it good so that you don't ruin the new seal

Comment

disassembly instructions..

SqDancerLynn1,

So do I need to remove the clutch basket to do this, or just the outer cover on that side (then pop out the old one and push in the new one)? I don't want to start until I know exactely what I am doing. I got the part today..you were right, thats what I was looking for.

I hope to do it soon, depending on the work involved.

David

Comment

Pull the gear shifter lever off, then remove the small cover. It would help if you can prop the bike up on the right side CLean the shifter shaft & the seal area, Pry the seal out, be carefull of the shaft If it won't come out drill two small holes into the seal & thread some small screws into the seal PULL it out with pliers. Coat the outside of the seal with liquid gasket sealer DO NOT USE SILICON Coat the shifter shaft & inner part of the seal with grease. Drive the seal into the case with a piece of pipe that will fit over the length of the shifter shaft Use a big flat washer if needed
                            between the seal & the pipe

YOU do not need to touch the clutch

Comment

Working...
                            X