'81 GS450L Won't start...have ideas but need direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS450L Won't start...have ideas but need direction

As you may have noticed over in the owner forum, I just got my first bike, a non-running '81 GS450L. Now, I need a little help getting it running. Here's the run down. When my brother first delivered the bike, we tried to jump the bike with a charger/starter. The lights worked(high beam but no low beam), but when I pushed the starter button, just a click. Both turn signals worked, but they made a loud buzzing sound with each flash (more on that later).

We decided to charge the battery up to be sure that wasn't a problem. After two days on a charger, I decided to just buy a new battery. Once this one showed a full charge, I hooked it up and got the same thing--just a click. Now, my research in the forums tells me that the clicking I hear is the starter solenoid. So it seems like the solenoid is getting electricity but for some reason nothing's getting to the starter. Further research tells me the thing to do is look for problems in the electrical system--clean the grounds and check for shorts, bad wiring, etc. That I'll start to do right away. I'm an electrical doofus but I think I can tackle this.

Only one thing different happened when I put the new battery in: the left turn signal only illuminated in the front, and it didn't flash--it made the loud same loud buzzing noise and glowed extra bright. The right turn signal behaves the same as before--flashes with the loud buzzing noise. Headlight, brake lights all work. The clutch switch works fine--when I hit the starter without the clutch pulled, no click.

So, is the turn signal thing an unrelated electrical problem (relay?), or is it a clue to the real problem? My brother told me as he gave it to me that he thinks the problem is the R/R and the ignitor, and maybe the coils. Any of those sound right?

I appreciate all of you revisiting this well-worn problem. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks,
    Milan

A coupla thoughts. If that bike has a kick start you should try to start it with that. If it doesn't you'll need to test for current flow from the relay to the starter. This would be checked with the starter button in. If there is current going to the starter you'll need to pull it out and get it fixed. If there is no current from the relay that will probably need to be replaced. Sometimes if you can get inside them you can fix them be cleaning/filing the contacts. Once you get it cranking if it doesn't start check to see if the plugs are firing and let the forum know what you've got.

As for the problems with the signals and the lights they would probably not affect the starting.

Comment

re:'81 GS450L Won't start...have ideas but need direction

I'm sorta in the same boat ('81 450T resto), I was having the same problem, good battery, push starter, just a click...turns out the contacts on the kill switch we're corroded. I still haven't figured how to get it apart to clean them properly, I just stuck a fine screwdriver tip in and worked in back and forth. I'd check this and also check your starter button, mine was so corroded there was no way it would make contact.
      Turn signals: often if one bulb is out the (i.e. right rear) the other (right front) will only light, not flash. Also check your grounds on the non-functioning signals. If it was stored making a good ground is often all you need to make them flash!
      Good luck, I got mine to start up yesterday...makes you feel a lot more optimstic when you can actually hear it run!

Comment

Just to see if the engine is free (not siezed) you should try to push-start it. It is highly unlikely that it will actually start, but you should hear the engine turning over. You will almost certainly have to go through the entire "got-a-bike-that's-been-sitting" check-list to get her running decently.
        See my other posts for the list of things you'll have to do.

Comment

Working...
        X