tick tick tick, cant figure out the noise on my 1980 gs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tick tick tick, cant figure out the noise on my 1980 gs1100

well i have a gs1100 e,and I can't figure out the odd ticking/clacking noise I hear when i pull the clutch in and coast, even with the clutch in a high gear if i just coast i get a wierd noise, it doesn't change with speed or engine rpm or if i hit the brakes, the wheel bearings seem good, it sounds like its comming from the stator side of the motor, but that doesn't make much sense to me either because it is so intermitent *spelling. Any ideas would be appreciated
    Rob

Gotta hate that noise

Might try getting the back wheel off ground and just spinning it to see if you can trace the noise that way. (I find that placing an axle stand under each side of the swing arm gives good solid support). Once you eliminate road and engine noise something might show up. The noise might even be something stuck in the tread of your tire?. The bit about it not changing with road speed or RPM makes no sense as anything mechanical would have a varience in tempo some where along the line. Might even be the chain hitting the chain guard. If all else fails get out on a nice quiet back road and ride with your helmet off. I'll lay odds it's chain related so check your slack first. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Comment

If you think it's motor related, it is probably always there, only sometimes it may be more pronounced. I like to take a long screwdriver and hold it tight to various locations on the engine while it's running, and press my ear up to it. Caution, this may be scary...

Check your master link.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Could be a crack in a plug wire. Unplug your lights and run the bike in a dark (dark as you can get) area and look around the engine top. If it is an electrical arc you'll see it. They are surprisingly loud and sound mechanical until you have had enough of them to recognize the sound.

Comment

I have the same noise with my 1981 GS750E I hear the noise with the clutch pulled in and it does not change with the engine RPM. However when I apply slight front brake pressure, the noise goes away. So far I have disconnected the speedometer, however that had no effect. I think the noise is from the front end someplace.

Comment

Worn speedo drive hub maybe?

Comment

Re: Gotta hate that noise

Originally posted by wayne cooper
              [...]If all else fails get out on a nice quiet back road and ride with your helmet off.
              Now it's really not like me to be giving safety advice but I can't
              help thinking that is a _really bad_ idea. The thing about
              nice quiet back roads is - well there are several near me.
              2 weeks ago a 20yo on a GSXR went round a corner into a
              lorry and died on one of these 'nice quiet' back roads.

sorry to be a downer...

Comment

Re: Gotta hate that noise

Originally posted by wayne cooper
                I'll lay odds it's chain related so check your slack first. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
                I second this idea. Earlier this summer for the first time in 20+ years I overtightened my chain. When coming to a stop, clutch pulled in, brakes applied, I hear ca-clunk, clunk, clunk. I put the bike up on the centertand. removed the sprocket and chain guards, started and ran the bike in first gear and saw the chain binding. I loosened the chain and no more ca-clunks. Give it a look, might be the same issue. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                  If you think it's motor related, it is probably always there, only sometimes it may be more pronounced. I like to take a long screwdriver and hold it tight to various locations on the engine while it's running, and press my ear up to it. Caution, this may be scary...

Check your master link.
                  Which end of the screwdriver do you press against your ear? (kidding )

Comment

Working...
                  X