paint & spider webbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paint & spider webbing

why does every tank i paint turn out with spider webs all over? i just cleaned a tank (pretty @#$%^& good) with mineral spirits; now the base coat is lookin' like the face of bob dylan! i'm using a good motor paint; should i be using a special, compatable thinner? i thought mineral spirits was a pretty standard thinner?!!? once again, GOD shows me just how silly and petty my knowledge is. plz help

much thanks from the mountains: david

I think you just answered your own question, allway's use the right thinner's.

Comment

soo, how does one determine the correct thinner to use? i know the mouth-breathers at advance auto could not possibly answer this. i actually worked in a paint shop (i was the prep-idiot) when i was going through college but, i sorta thought thinner was thinner. are there thinners of differing characteristics? if so, what type should one use to prep for a can of fairly descent ($5.00) can of spray paint from the local parts store. (i'm no detail man---- if you can't see my paintin' mistakes from ten feet away----they're not there! SUBSTANCE ONLY!)

Comment

I am certainly no paint expert, the process depend's greatly on wether your going over bare metal or existing paint.
        But I tend to use a general laquer thinners, unless the paint is something special.
        You can get it at any auto paint stores.
        But if you are going over an existing paint you could have compatabilety issues.

Comment

thanks gspaul:

truly, i don't really care that much about details on my cycles: if they run from KY to TX they're fine by me. but, i'd like to know what causes the spider webbing......sorta for general info. thanks for the input

Comment

What you need is a cable TV show. "Choppin' in the Mountains" then you could claim your paint jobs were done on purpose and were very, very expensive. At least one Hollywood nut would want one! Hey, it's lemonade!

Sorry, wish I could help, but I'm clueless, a painter I'm not!

Comment

I think but I am really not sure, that wrinkling or webbing is caused by incorrect drying time. Check the drying time before a recoat. Or is it your first coat that is webbing?

Comment

Laquer, use laquer thinner. Enamel, use enamel reducer. Laquer thiner is pretty standard and specific to the paint. Enamel reducer, is used with acrylic enamel to cut the paint, usually 1 to 1. Enamel reducer comes in differeant temp ranges to help control drying time. I wash down the surface to be painted just before painting with reducer on a rag and wipe down with a tack cloth. Mineral spirits, not automotive grade thinner. Use it for oil base house paint and cleaning brushes.

Bare steel needs to be treated with an etching solution to seal the metal before priming. Laquer paints over laquer primer. Enamel paints over laquer primer or enamel based primer. Red oxide laquer primer is my favorite. Drys quick, easy to sand.

I hope this helps. Paint is a wonderful thing when it goes on correctly. Try using just a flash coat with your first coat. Very light, barely covering the work piece. This helps seal the surface before laying down your full coats of paint.

I hate laquer my self. I never have good results, plus to much work for me. I'm old school, acrylic enamel, gloss hardener, enamel reducer. I hope this helps you out. If it doesn't just ask. 8)

Thanks,
                Chris

Comment

cool; thanks for the info. i'll pay more attention to compability in the future, and less attention to the attendants at advance auto (although that 22yr old red head with the new convertable mustang is worthy of another conversation. maybe i'll teach her what ya'll taught me (of course i'll give all credit for the knowledge to ya'll).

ps: i agree about the tv show. but i got some buddies that are a ^%$# of a lot more entertaining than me! they would be famous all the way to eddyville!

Comment

Re: paint & spider webbing

edited

E.
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

to chris:

thanks for the photobucket: i can say nothing else..........

Comment

Re: paint & spider webbing

Originally posted by earlfor
                        You must clean the surface with a thinner that is neutral to the paint system (its base chemical). Lacquer and the multi part catalyzed paint systems are not petrolrum based. They are alcohol derivitives. Consequently, they have zero tolerance for oil. Even the amount of oil in your fingerprint is enough to botch a paint job. A trick of mine is if in doubt or if I do not have the manufacturer specified solvent, then I use a solvent that in neutral, will remove all oil and most dirt/debris. On bare surfaces, I use acetone. After cleaning thoroughly with acetone. I put about 4 ounces of liquid Joy in a 1/2 gallon of hot water and scrub the tank clean to remove any acetone residue. Air dry it. Now you may apply any kind of paint you wish to the surface without fear of fish eye, spider web or contamination prints. After washing with soapy water and a sponge, you cannot touch the tank with bare fingers. It will contaminate your finish.

The above applies if you are stripping a tank, etc. to refinish it. If you are recoating a factory painted tank, you can still follow the above as acetone will not soften or remove factory paint. If you are repainting a tank somone has spray can painted, the acetone will curl and destroy that paint finish, so the tank should be stripped completely.
                        Earl

Originally posted by dtkid
                        why does every tank i paint turn out with spider webs all over? i just cleaned a tank (pretty @#$%^& good) with mineral spirits; now the base coat is lookin' like the face of bob dylan! i'm using a good motor paint; should i be using a special, compatable thinner? i thought mineral spirits was a pretty standard thinner?!!? once again, GOD shows me just how silly and petty my knowledge is. plz help

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[quote="dtkid"]cool; thanks for the info. i'll pay more attention to compability in the future, and less attention to the attendants at advance auto (although that 22yr old red head with the new convertable mustang is worthy of another conversation. maybe i'll teach her what ya'll taught me (of course i'll give all credit for the knowledge to ya'll).

ps: i agree about the tv show. but i got some buddies that are a ^%$# of a lot more entertaining than me! they would be famous all the way to eddyville![/quote]

I think Only Kentuckiens would Get that Reference. Eddyville is Kentucky's Only Maximum Security Prison. It's about 55 Miles from where I Live.
                          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                          X