'79 GS550 points/condenser question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS550 points/condenser question

I finally got new points and condenser that were ordered months ago.

Now, I can't remember exaclty how they were wired, the manual does not show a picture, and the wiring diagram is ambiguous. I wired them as I seemed to remember was proper, and by what made sense, but no spark whatsoever.

Anybody know how these wires connect properly?

2 sets of 2 wires total.
    1 white 1 black from the bike to ?
    1 white 1 black from condenser to ?

Anybody with a compatible GS550 (78 - 82 I was told) be so kind as to photograph their points and post them? Or send to james@nerdsempire.com.

utherwise an explaination of how they connect properly?

If I had my manual with me I would try to help. If you don't receive any responses by the end of the day I will try to forward you some information tomorrow.

Roman

Comment

550 Points

I'm looking at my Clymer manual and it looks like the white wires go to the rear most mounting post and the black wires to the front post.

Comment

Sent an email with the picture from Clymer's manual, hopefully it helps.

Comment

Possibly some other problem, as it appears that I have mine wired this way.

If anyone can look, are the wire pairs touching each other, either physically or electrically? (White touching white, black touching black)

Comment

Update:

Found no power to first coil (1-3 cyl). Had power before I started this, so I suspect I managed to break the wire. It may be that this was the problem in the first place, as I tested for voltage at that point, but not for resistance on the wire. Since I was getting voltage, I assumed bad coil or points.

After replacing all of them, I lost all power to spark. This tells me that I have a short to ground on that wire, sionce I sometimes get spark on the other coil, especially if I wiggle the hell out of the first coil wire while cranking it. (Common source for both wires, short one, the other loses power too.)

Comment

If you are checking the voltage on the coil block the points open so that there is no load on the voltage line. On my GS850 points ign. I had problems with ign. had weak spark and bike would not start, would ocasionally back fire. Replaced points and cond. Still wouldn't start. ended up replacing the coils. Now it runs better than ever

Comment

I just replaced coils, condenser, points, and plugs t-shooting this one. I think I had multiple problems, and hopefully have narrowed it down to the last one.

Comment

Working...
                X