Seat replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat replacement

What seat replacement options do I have for my 81 gs 450 L besides factory style ? Anyone help ?

There's two articles on seats in the bolt on accessories section of this site. You could probably use a seat from a GS450E or S model, but I don't think you'd want to. They are not very comfortable after about 90 minutes, at least to me. The L model seats look more comfortable. You could get yours redone with better foam or a sheepskin or both...

Comment

Yeah thanks

actually i wanted a seat like your 450 has for my 450 L. actually it turned out since i wanted my bike kinda cafe style that i just wanted a 450 e or 450 s. only thing is don't care for the boat style tail cover , which brings up my next question can you lose the tail cover and still sport the seat ? I dig your gas tank too. I know bike bandit has pictures but I think an owner could tell me better than a picture. My question is can you take off YOUR tail cover ON YOUR BIKE (cuz i got a tear drop gas tank too ya gotta remember) and still have a well supported seat and if it seats two would it still be able to seat two ? 8O

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adam wrote:
        I have an 81 gs 450 L . I just replaced the apehanger bars with some black cafe style bars. And the seat looked to bulky for the cafe look i'm going for so I got one from a 450 T . It's my impression that you can use just about anything from another suzuki 81 450 but different model letter t, l, e, .....

(BRENT WROTE) Mix (T & L) or (E & S) together and you should be OK.

Do any other crossovers and you may have issues. The tanks and seats for those 2 classes are way different as is the peg positioning, rear fenders and other rear bits etc etc...

Comment

anybody seen any after market seats on a gs 450 L.

I want that vintage look flat long banana seat.

Comment

Re: Yeah thanks

Originally posted by adam
            actually i wanted a seat like your 450 has for my 450 L. actually it turned out since i wanted my bike kinda cafe style that i just wanted a 450 e or 450 s. only thing is don't care for the boat style tail cover , which brings up my next question can you lose the tail cover and still sport the seat ? I dig your gas tank too. I know bike bandit has pictures but I think an owner could tell me better than a picture. My question is can you take off YOUR tail cover ON YOUR BIKE (cuz i got a tear drop gas tank too ya gotta remember) and still have a well supported seat and if it seats two would it still be able to seat two ? 8O
            The seat I have has a locking mechanism that clicks into the boat tail. I think the L seats have a bracket the seat bolts to. But, I think the seat pans are the same.

Comment

The L seats widen from the front to the back for the driver's seat, then get narrow again for the passenger seat -- think wide butt support..

The non-L seats don't have this wider driver's butt support, as far as I know. As far as I've seen, the pans for the GS-G's are different than the GS-L's.

Comment

Well, maybe the pans aren't the same. Under the plastic boat tail is a subframe. The pics on bike bandit explain it better than I can. What made me think the pans are the same is I saw a picture of an L seat on fleabay and flipped over it looks just like my seat pan except for the two brackets sticking down that bolt up to the rear subframe. I saw an E/S seat on fleabay just a couple of days ago for $20. The cover and foam were trashed but the pan was good. It would be a cheap way to find out if you can mount it on your bike. If it turns out that the pans are different maybe a good auto upholsterer could do up your pan in the banana seat style. I do know that the E, S and L models all have the same frame and forks, footpegs etc. The only difference between the E and S models is the little cafe fairing you see on my bike. The bar end mirrors were a factory option. I think the grab handle on the L models bolt up to the same points as the grab handle on the E and S models. It can't be that difficult to get your L to look more cafe. What you can't see on bikebandit is that the seats on the E and S models have a metal bracket on the front that fits over the frame and the previously mentioned keylock in the rear. The seat isn't all that solidly mounted on my bike. It can slide forward and back about 1/4 in. And as previously mentioned, it isn't very comfortable. After about 90 minutes of riding the ol' buns are burning and begging for a break. I'm thinking about getting the foam redone or getting a sheepskin myself.

Comment

I do know that the E, S and L models all have the same frame and forks, footpegs etc.
                  The pegs may be the same, but the placement of them is totally different. The frame is likely the same dimensions, but they are not the same. Different coil locations, the swingarm mount looks different etc etc. I am not doubting that you can make stuff fit across the model classes, I just don't think that everything will just bolt-on.

One thing I am noticing is that my wife's S has a much lower seat than my E. I am wondering if my E has been stuffed? I'd prefer a lower seat, but no way she's gonna trade with me, her legs are quite a bit shorter than mine. I don't see 2 different seat part no.s anywhere I look for the 2 models so I figure one isn't 100% stock. Just no idea which.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450
                    I do know that the E, S and L models all have the same frame and forks, footpegs etc.
                    The pegs may be the same, but the placement of them is totally different. The frame is likely the same dimensions, but they are not the same. Different coil locations, the swingarm mount looks different etc etc. I am not doubting that you can make stuff fit across the model classes, I just don't think that everything will just bolt-on.

One thing I am noticing is that my wife's S has a much lower seat than my E. I am wondering if my E has been stuffed? I'd prefer a lower seat, but no way she's gonna trade with me, her legs are quite a bit shorter than mine. I don't see 2 different seat part no.s anywhere I look for the 2 models so I figure one isn't 100% stock. Just no idea which.
                    Oops, wrong again. I gotta stop running my mouth like I actually know something!! It surprises me that Suzuki would go to that much expense to create a cruiser style 450. My S seat looks like the wife's S in the link. The E looks like the seat has been stuffed. There are other pics of E's to compare it to. Is it comfortable? The butt burn is the only thing stopping me from taking a long trip now that the carbs are working better. Did a 40 mile freeway run yesterday at 65-70mph and the bike doesn't do the rocking horse thing now. I can set the cruise control and just go....

Comment

I used to commute 45 miles or so a day, freeway speeds, on my bike no seat probs. The flatter bars I have bothered my wrists a lil after 45 min or so, but not enough to take them off.

Comment

cool

cool

Comment

Working...
                        X