Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety consideration for a GS850G..junk or build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety consideration for a GS850G..junk or build?

The crankshaft at the end of the engine has a bolt on it, which holds in place this one flower-looking metal part which has four bolt holes. These holes meet up with the propeller shaft on the bike, which eventually leads to the final drive.

The bolt holding this piece attached to the crankshaft just plain tore off.

It connects to the shaft via these four other bolts, and the shaft pattern seems pretty snug. Without it, is the bike safe? Would you ride it or sell it off?

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm having one hell of a time making a decision on this one.

I certainly would not ride the bike with a broken bolt in the driveshaft. I also would not junk the bike. I would look into getting the broken bolt removed and replaced by a good mechanic if I couldn't do it myself.

Comment

Getting it removed was no problem whatsoever...when I pulled the engine, this piece just plain fell out.

I've been knocking around the idea of a tack weld...a friend is an experienced welder who might be able to handle it...

But at this point, so much $ went into this, on one hand, it would seem a waste to give up now. On the other hand, it might make some sense to cut my losses and move on.

Just to make sure I'm clear on what part I'm disucssing, it's the part on the rear right of the engine that connects to the shaft.

What do you think the mechanic would charge?>

Comment

this part???

Comment

Dunno if the ASCII art sizes up to your scan, but lemme throw this quick one out and see what happens - Monday night I'll be near a scanner (nice photoshop, brother!) and maybe do something a little more decent.

SO. Let's say the front wheel is hovering somewhere around the beginning of this sentence:

|||||||||||||||||
          |||||||||||||||||
          ||||||||||||||||| <-block
          |||||||||||||||||

Excuse the technical terminology.

At any rate, the threads go into the "thing that connects to shaft" and holds this thing to the engine. The bolt snapped, leaving this huge crimped bolt thing to just fall out once the engine was removed.

Thanks for your post! This is one hell of a community you fellas have here. If I get out of this one alive, I'll be sure to keep hanging out here. :roll:

Comment

All you need to do is get a used set of secondary gears (beveled drive gears) Just make sure to get them from & 850 That shaft is NOT REPAIRABLE

Comment

yup, lynns right, don't try any repairs other than replacement. welding wont work out well for you I don't think, nor is the bike junk because of any problems there.

Comment

Working...
              X