Discovered something: '79 GS550 light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovered something: '79 GS550 light switch

I took my light switch apart while doing some cleaning/checking and found that the lights can be turned on and off. The switch housing has a stop on it to prevent the lights from being turned off (U.S. law on motorcycles after a certain date.)

Well, I shaved of the little tab on the switch cover (obvious if you look at it) and now I can turn it off. This is great, whereas I would not ride with the light off, working and fiddling in the garage just got better. No light to drag the battery down!

79 GS 550 Light Switch

I'm surprised your light switch wasn't allowing you to turn the lights on/off. My 79 has that capability via a switch next to the low/high beam selector.

Comment

My 81 had a lock dimple,if you'd call it that, and it was filed off by the origional owner. Yes it's nice to shut them off when you're tinkering but don't forget to turn them back on. I forgot once and got a fine from the boys in blue for no headlight and he wouldn't cut any slack that day. :x

Jon Kram

81 GS750EX and proud of it!!

Comment

Re: 79 GS 550 Light Switch

Originally posted by Mainer4Lif
        I'm surprised your light switch wasn't allowing you to turn the lights on/off. My 79 has that capability via a switch next to the low/high beam selector.
        I suspect a previous owner performed the same mod I did...

The switch was there, it just wouldn't move until I filed off that nipple.

Comment

Re: 79 GS 550 Light Switch

Naaaa, 79's and earlier had stock light switches that had a working off position.

Earl

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
          Originally posted by Mainer4Lif
          I suspect a previous owner performed the same mod I did...

The switch was there, it just wouldn't move until I filed off that nipple.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

USA spec required lights on all the time starting 1982. 1981 and earlier bikes still has switched lights.

Comment

Hmm,

Looks like I don't have a stock switch. Odd.

Comment

Switch knob was probably replaced with a superceeded part # for newer bike

Comment

Working...
                X