Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain stretch question

Hi guys!
    The slack on the chain, on my gs1150, goes up and down, as I turn the wheel on the center stand.There is about half a inch of difference.I read about chain stretching,and i wonder how big a problem is that??
    The bike runs great,apart from a uneven sound coming from the chain.
    During acceleration and at cruising speed,no sound.
    I have ajusted the chain according to the book.
    And my second question is, how long a chain is suppose to last
    (normal use)?
    It is a new bike for me,I am used to shaft drive with my Honda Sabre.
    Thank you for the info.

It's time to replace the chain & sprockets BUY the BEST CHAIN you can get The 1150 needs it.

Comment

how big a problem is that??
      Not really a problem, but it is a sign that the chain is at the end of it's life.

And my second question is, how long a chain is suppose to last
      (normal use)?
      That is a loaded question, depending on where/how you ride, how clean your chain is kept, and the quality of the chain. I seem to be pretty easy on rear tires and chains (that is, no smoky burnouts, no huge wheelies, etc.) and I expect a quality O-ring chain to get at least 30,000km. My last bike was a 97 ZX-9 that had 29,000km on it when I sold it with the OEM chain on it and I had not adjusted it in the last 17,000km of it's life....I also used NO chain lube at all and cleaned it regularly with WD-40 to keep the grit and dirt off.

I agree with Lynn, buy a quality O or X ring chain. Either go to a 530 conversion or stick with the stock 630 size. Myself, I would take the opportunity to go to the 530 chain set since you are replacing things anyway and the price will be the same, and selection of both chain and sprockets will be much better. Also, replace both sprockets and the chain as a set. Putting a new chain onto shagged sprockets will eat the chain in short order. And keep it adjusted on the loose side of things. A loose chain will be a touch noisier and have a bit more lash in it, but it will live much longer. A tight chain will die in no time at all.

Mark

Comment

Amen! A chain requires NO pretension to operate properly. A tight chain is the worst thing you can do to it. With the bike on the centerstand, I adjust the chain to have about 2 1/2 inches of slack at midpoint of the lower chain run. I average 15-18,000 miles on a chain on my 1150E and that bike is harder on chains than most. Keep it clean and run it loose.

Earl

Originally posted by mark m
        A loose chain will be a touch noisier and have a bit more lash in it, but it will live much longer. A tight chain will die in no time at all.

Mark
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Keep it clean and run it loose.

8O

I could say something really crude here....
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Awww, go ahead. We all know you're rude, crude and socially maladjusted. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
            Keep it clean and run it loose.

8O

I could say something really crude here....
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
            X