Stoping gear crash (N to 1st) by holding in clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stoping gear crash (N to 1st) by holding in clutch

Just thought I would let you guys know, what I have found. We have non-syncroed trannies. So going from N into gear even with the clutch pulled all the way in produced a gear crash. I have found that even with 20W-50 if I can anticipate the light I am at I can hold in the clutch for 1 min. BEFORE I put it into gear while still in N. This lets the tranny gear stop rotating and I get a nice gear change with out teh crash. Just thought I would share, many might have already known this.

Id bet your clutch needs some attention, it shouldnt take a minute to get it to shift without more than a little "snick" into gear.

the new GS1100 I was around in the mid 80s didn't ever make any more than a little "thunk" when shifted to first from a standstill, and never was there a "special" procedure to make it happen.

my 850 seems to need the clutch looked at for similar reasons, Im putting it off til the engine runs well, but it doesnt disengage completely even with cable freeplay set to the tight side. I assume clutch steel and friction plates will solve this.

my car has an unsynchronized first gear, and shifts into first effortlessly as well, at least from a stop, there shouldn't be any reason for your bikes tranny to not operate the same way.

Comment

Clutch just replaced?

The metal and friction plates in the clutch in my '80 GS850G was replace about 5,000 miles ago! I think it has to do with the gears still being in motion just after the clutch is pulled in. if you give the gears time to slow down they don't "snick".

Comment

A 'crunch' isn't really accetable - something is getting warn out. My 850 usually 'clunks' into 1st gear (no waiting). It often just 'clicks' into 1st gear. The only time I get a 'crunch' is when the engine oil is cold and the choke is spinning the engine too fast. I've owned other shaft drive bikes (BMW), and it always 'clunked' into 1st gear. It's just something inherent in the breed.

Also, I often put my bike into first while I'm still moving - so I'm not sure the transmission is 'non-synchro'.

Ace.

Comment

A motorcycle trans does not have syncros like a car. If it clunks bad try adjusting the idle speed If it is too high it will clunk more

Comment

Get into first before you stop and just hold the clutch in. Good exercise and saves the "crunch". The only time this might be bad is if you have a clutch drag problem.

Comment

so this would explain the times I pull the clutch and hold it without gearing down as I come to a stop, my gears will get stuck and not change down until I let the clutch out just to the point it catches to get the gears all in motion again, then I can go down!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
                so this would explain the times I pull the clutch and hold it without gearing down as I come to a stop, my gears will get stuck and not change down until I let the clutch out just to the point it catches to get the gears all in motion again, then I can go down!
                No, I don't think it does

Comment

Working...
                X