starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter

Is there a way to check if the starter is okay or bad? I it is bad what is the best way to replace it? do they sell rewind starters? or used one would be okay?

ard

What are the symptoms of your problem? They will often speak volumes as to what is actually wrong. It's possible, for example, that you have bad wiring that is making it seem like a starter problem...

As to replacing the starter, most new replacements go for around $300, but you can buy just the parts you need for much less (usually just bad brushes) and rebuild your existing starter yourself, if it's really the problem. I will be posting my recent starter rebuild project w/pics within the next week or so.

Regards,
    Steve 8)

Comment

well lately, it was taking more then one touch of the button to start the bike I had to push the starter button few times, I did not mind it, last Sunday I wanted to start the bike it sounded like it had dead battery, but it started, due to cold engine it installed, then would not start I can run and jump start it. however now if I push the starter button it only makes clicking noise.

ard

Comment

Before you start condeming the starter make sure the battery is fully charged
        If you jump the two 10mm bolts on the starter solinoid with a screwdriver the starter should work If the starter doesn't work The starter
        is probably bad. assuming it works Check the small wire on the solinoid for 12 volts when you push the start button, If you don't get the 12 volts it could also be the clutch interlock switch or the start switch is dirty

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
          What are the symptoms of your problem? They will often speak volumes as to what is actually wrong. It's possible, for example, that you have bad wiring that is making it seem like a starter problem...

As to replacing the starter, most new replacements go for around $300, but you can buy just the parts you need for much less (usually just bad brushes) and rebuild your existing starter yourself, if it's really the problem. I will be posting my recent starter rebuild project w/pics within the next week or so.

Regards,
          Steve 8)
          well. I came home this evening, and I took a screw driver, and bridged the two large terminals on the starter relay, with ignition on. not even a click came out of it
          so what parts would I replace besides the brushes? if it is more then brushes what else would there be in the starterto replace?

ard

Comment

Sounds like a dead battery. These GS'es have well known and well documented issues with the charging system. There's tons of reading here, use the search feature.

Comment

well how about this; I took the cover of the starter housing, turn the key on and push the starter button, nothing, I taped on the starter with a small hammer, brooom starts;
              Now what do you guys think?

ard

Comment

I suspect your brushes need replacing, but when I replaced my brushes I discovered a flaw in the design of the springs that keep the brushes in contact with the commutator. To make a long story short, the springs start "catching/hanging up" on the brush guides until eventually they fail to provide proper pressure against the brushes.

On my starter this happened on two of the four brushes, and prevented them from making proper contact ... they failed with over half their expected life left, and wound up disintigrating over time. I modified the ends of the springs to prevent this, and reused the old "improved" springs when I received the rebuild parts.

I will try to get the thread and pictures up next week, hopefully before you get whatever parts you order for your rebuild. Don't be too surprised if you see lots of graphite powder and brush bits when you open your starter. Don't open it until you have a schematic showing all the parts -- it's easy to lose important pieces like the shims on each end (they look like washers) when you open and clean up the internals.

Regards,
                Steve 8)

Comment

I would think Planecrazy is right, the old "hit the starter with a hammer fix"
                  point's to this.
                  The good new's is you can still get the part's, but dont forget the seal's and O ring's.
                  And give the commutator a gentle polish with some very fine emery, and a clean with a mild solvent.

Comment

Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!

Good parts prices, quick service.

Comment

Working...
                    X