Clutch still slipping but could be multiple issues need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch still slipping but could be multiple issues need info

1982 gs750tz. I have replaced the drive plates the driven plates and the clutch cable. I have made all the cable adjustments I can. I cannot get any play in the clutch arm at the case because with even the slightest play the bike will stall when placed in gear. When it is all tight the bike shifts into gear fine but I have clutch slip in every gear. Starting in 2nd is just like first and it redlines too quick in each gear, place it against my driveway wall and try to spin the tire but can't.. (clutch slip right) Let me go further with previous owner info. When I got the bike it had a bad gravity petcock and I get the feeling that the bike may have been run at least a few times with gas in the crankcase. It also had no airbox(filterbox) so it ran (poorly) but wide open through the airbox on the carbs. Can anyone tell me if this has caused a problem that I am missing as far as the clutch goes. I have done my searches but I can't find out the necessary info. What is it I should be trying to do here??

what kind of oil are ya putting in your bike? im having the same problem and i believe it is the castrol oil thats doing it not the oil itself but the additives. my bike does not have a new clutch but i think/hope that this has something to do with the slipping. once it catches up with the motor and i keep the rpms high it will not slip between gears. it seems to happen only from a third or fourth gear kickdown at about 5000 rpm. from other forum posts ive seen on here they say valvoline has the least amount of additives but to read the lables and check for friction modifers or something like that. my next oil change im gonna look for a wet clutch type of motorcycle oil. hope it works!! if not then its on to a heavy duty clutch.hopefully some real experts will get on here and give us some more info.

Comment

I use reg Castrol GTX 10/40 in my GS850 My clutch (original) has 38K miles on it, works fine.
      Did you check the springs when you replaced the clutch plates I would start over with the adjustment , remove the cable from the handle bar perch Adjust it at the engine, re attach at the bar end & adjust the freeplay

Comment

I am using valvoline 20w-50. I have been told that it might be the weight of the oil go to 10w-40. My only issue has been that the slight riding I have done in traffic and I mean like 5 stop lights in a 15 minute period in 85 degrees the clutch started to grab and stall out. That may be the clutch and not the oiul though. I have literally tried every mix of cable adjustment so I don't really believe that the problem is there.

Comment

Oh also I did add the heavy duty vesrah spring (new) and went with heavy duty EBC plates.

Comment

Working...
          X