is stator bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is stator bad?

I am able to charge the battery on my "82 GS1100GZ, I am not sure however if the stator is charging the battery. With the bike running, I put a volt meter on the battery. It is reading at about 12 1/2 volts, and jumps up to about 13-13 1/2 volts @ 5k rpm. It is my understanding that the stator should be putting out about 14 volts. Also, I am a new member, and my tech experience is very limited. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    New Member :roll:

Stator Test

The testing procedure for my 700, yours will be the same, involves disconnecting the three stator wires and running the bike at 5,000 rpm. You then place the probe of a multi-tester in each of the three wires. + probe in one terminal and - probe in another. Keep the + probe on the same wire and check the other two with the - probe. Then move the + probe to the next wire and check the other two with the - probe. Again + on the remaining wire. Check each of the wires against each other two this way. I'm not sure what voltage you should look for on an 1100, my 700 calls for 80 volts AC. You should get consistent readings on each attempt. These are the three yellow wires under the gas tank.You want to test the ends of the wires coming out of the starter cover under the carbs.

You can do a continuity check using the same procedure. With the motor off and the tester set to check for continuity check each wire against the other two. You should get a tone if the stator is okay as far as any breaks. You can test for shorts by testing each with one probe on the wire and the other on the frame. If you get a tone or meter reaction you have a short.

Comment

Stator

I will give that a try and let you know how I made out.

Thanks

Comment

A couple comments:
        - Good that you have a volt meter.
        - It is charging - some. Voltage is higher when its running than when its not, right? So it is charging some. But, yes, it should be a bit higher voltage than that.
        - You say you are new to the forum. Have you found the "In the garage' section of the website? In particular look for the "stator papers".
        - There is more to the charging system than just the stator. There is also the voltage regulator-regulator. And the stator has 3 windings and the R-R has 3 sections also.
        - So check out the stator papers and such, and then you can put your meter to further useage.

I suspect that if there was something failed-burntout-shortedout in the stator or the R-R that you would get even lower volt readings than you are. So I suspect maybe marginal connection somewhere like betwween stator and R-R. BUt I would suggest you find the stator papers and start from the start.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X