Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H4 headlight bulbs - which brand(s) do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H4 headlight bulbs - which brand(s) do you like?

H4 bulbs - I've just been buying whatever is cheapest at Autozone, usually Sylvania or Phillips. They don't seem to last very long, maybe 500-1000 miles. I did notice some looseness in the little bracket that holds them into the lens or whatever you call it and took care of that with some silicone glue. I also tightened up the bucket bolts but still notice the light jumping around some as I go down the road, checking the reflection off the back of cars and street signs. The H4 bulbs intended for cars don't seem to hold up to the vibes well. At $8 to $12 it's not a huge problem, just don't want to get caught a long way from home with no lights.

Does anybody have a preference or recommendation? I love the light these things put out. People see me!

Re: H4 headlight bulbs - which brand(s) do you like?

There is only ONE real choice. Sylvania Silverstar H4 60/55w.
    There are two things that will kill an H4 bulb. NEVER touch one with bare fingers. Vibration............do not overtighten the headlight shell clamp bolts. Also, put a couple of additional rubber washers between the headlight shell and the fork ears it mounts to. Tighten the mount bolts only to slightly snug. Only tight enough to hold the headlight shell in position, no more. I've been using the same Silverstar on my 1150E
    (a known vibration hog) for 3 1/2 years. :-) The bulbs cost about $20.

Earl

Originally posted by IanFrancisco
    H4 bulbs - I've just been buying whatever is cheapest at Autozone, usually Sylvania or Phillips. They don't seem to last very long, maybe 500-1000 miles. I did notice some looseness in the little bracket that holds them into the lens or whatever you call it and took care of that with some silicone glue. I also tightened up the bucket bolts but still notice the light jumping around some as I go down the road, checking the reflection off the back of cars and street signs. The H4 bulbs intended for cars don't seem to hold up to the vibes well. At $8 to $12 it's not a huge problem, just don't want to get caught a long way from home with no lights.

Does anybody have a preference or recommendation? I love the light these things put out. People see me!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks, Earl. Your contributions are worth their weight in gold!

Comment

Or at least $20 huh? :-) :-) :-)

I forgot to mention that you cannot touch a bulb with your fingers because the oil in your skin etches the bulbs causing them to self destruct.

Earl

Originally posted by IanFrancisco
        Thanks, Earl. Your contributions are worth their weight in gold!

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Higher wattage bulb, a bright idea?

I have recently purchased a 55/100. could be 60/100 I don't remeber exactly, halogen bulb to replace my stock OEM. Haven't used it yet. Question is does this bulb pose any problems to my 25 year old electrical system.

Comment

Re: Higher wattage bulb, a bright idea?

I use a 55/60 bulb and find with the Silverstar, it is ample light. Others have used the 100w version without iproblems. However, my feeling on that is the stok wiring setup draws the amperage through the handlebar switch and I am not sure that switch is meant to carry that much current. If I were going to run a 100W bulb, I would install a headlight relay to be sure I was not overloading the headlight switch. Advance Auto (and others) carries a 30amp relay for about $10 (last time I looked).

Earl

Originally posted by retrex
            I have recently purchased a 55/100. could be 60/100 I don't remeber exactly, halogen bulb to replace my stock OEM. Haven't used it yet. Question is does this bulb pose any problems to my 25 year old electrical system.

Comment

I second the Silverstar recommendation. The wattage on my 9003/H4 Silverstar is the same as a stock H4 (55/60), but the light output is in a completely different league ... literally like night and day! I like the automotive Silverstar (the 9003) better than the bike-specific H4 because it has a coating that apparently gives a whiter light ... more like a HID system. It's VERY easy on the eyes, and once you go there you'll never go back.

I buy my Silverstars in twinpacks at Walmart for around $36, which saves me a few $$ per bulb and gives me a backup bulb I can keep on the bike. One more thing ... I ALWAYS ride with my brights on during the day, because it not only makes me more visible to other drivers but also extends the life of the low beam when I really need it ... at night. I've been using the same bulb for two years now with no problems, although I HAVE noticed shorter bulb life with the H7 Silverstars I run on my wife's truck.

Regards,
              Steve 8)

Comment

Silverstar

I just switched over to the silverstar about six weeks ago. It was the best change i've made to my ride since i got it. I ride 60 miles to work at 10pm on the busy LA freeway and it is very bright but doen't seem to bother the other drivers. By the way I ru the 55/60.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                  I buy my Silverstars in twinpacks at Walmart for around $36, which saves me a few $$ per bulb and gives me a backup bulb I can keep on the bike. One more thing ... I ALWAYS ride with my brights on during the day, because it not only makes me more visible to other drivers but also extends the life of the low beam when I really need it ... at night. I've been using the same bulb for two years now with no problems, although I HAVE noticed shorter bulb life with the H7 Silverstars I run on my wife's truck.

Regards,
                  Steve 8)
                  Good ol' Walmart! Looks like Silverstars win. Good idea using the brights during the day to save lo beam for night, but what proportion of day/night driving do most of us do? I've been using hi beam on the highway to reduce battery boiling and lo beam around town to reduce battery drainage at lower revs.

Comment

H4 headlight bulbs - which one for a GS 450 T

I want to do this conversion on my '81, but don't know exactly which size headlight I have, I'm at work so can't just walk out the garage and measure! I'd like to order it today, so if anyone can tell me whether or not its the 7" I'd appreciate it. :?

Thanks,
                    Mark

Comment

I'm pretty sure you have a 7in. light. Your bike is only 1 yr. newe than mine...

Comment

Working...
                      X