Fuel Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Petcock

Looking at the Fuel Petcock, with the shorter side of the arm pointing straight up the petcock is on, correct? With short side of arm pointing to the rear of the bike, the petcock is off, correct? With the short side of arm pointing to the front of the bike, the petcock is on reserve, correct?

Re: Fuel Petcock

Originally posted by Stephen
    Looking at the Fuel Petcock, with the shorter side of the arm pointing straight up the petcock is on, correct? With short side of arm pointing to the rear of the bike, the petcock is off, correct? With the short side of arm pointing to the front of the bike, the petcock is on reserve, correct?
    down = on
    to the rear = prime
    to the front = reserve

hope that helps - there really isn't an "off" position - if the arm is the "on" position and your petcock is in good shape, fuel will not flow unless the engine supplies vacuum to the petcock - that's the off position

Comment

The long side of the lever actually has an arrow on mine and with this longer side pointing forward it is in reserve. From what I understand there is no off position which brings up a question I have. How would one remove the gas tank without an off position. Is the only way to run it dry?
      Thanks.
      EddieV

Comment

If you leave the petcock in the "on" position, you can remove the fuel line and nothing will drain from the tank - it will only allow fuel to flow when it receives vacuum from the engine (provided your petcock is functioning correctly) - the other 2 positions will allow fuel to flow freely at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
          If you leave the petcock in the "on" position, you can remove the fuel line and nothing will drain from the tank - it will only allow fuel to flow when it receives vacuum from the engine (provided your petcock is functioning correctly) - the other 2 positions will allow fuel to flow freely at any time.
          Slight correction...Reserve position is also vacuum operated. Prime flows with no vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
            Originally posted by shaftzuki
            Slight correction...Reserve position is also vacuum operated. Prime flows with no vacuum.
            OOOPS!

Comment

So if I want to check on what position my petcock is in (since it lacks a handle), I can remove the line heading out of the fuel valve, and then start turning the bit with a screwdriver until fuel flows out. When it does, it's in 'prime'.

Is that correct?

Comment

i wondered why i was able to drive 20 miles with my petcock in what i thought was the "off" position. but let me ask this: should i always leave it in the on position then? is gas just coming down the line in the PRI position?

Comment

Working...
                X