What kind/s of thread lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind/s of thread lock?

Well the frame is painted along with all the bits of the full floater rear end so I'm ready to start bolting things back on my GS750ES/EF (both sets of plastic) so now its time for some threadlock...any recommandations?

From what it says in the manual there are at least three types to use for different applications. Any cross reference between the Suzuki goo and Locktite goo?

Thanks,
    /\/\ac

If you have to take it apart...use blue. Red, may reqire 'special tools' or heat to remove. ttp://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/loctite.htm

Found the above. Caution this article if 5 years old. Some of the part numbers have changed. I never used anything but blue or red. And the red was used on some of the internals of an old BSA engine. Matter of fact blue is all I have now. Not quite sure I understand the uses for green. But it is like red in that it is very high strength.

Comment

Green is for bearings, it is used to keep the outer race from spinning. Be cautious using the red on anything going into aluminum; depending on the alloy, I've seen it remove the threads upon disassembly.

Comment

With the exception of some special internal engine parts, blue loctite is sufficient.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I use blue on anything that
          A. Must NEVER come apart (like brake calipers bolts)
          B. Has no lock washer
          C. Coarse thread bolts (fine pitch will stay tighter)

Red never goes on anything soft like aluminum
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

loctite

the green stuff is capaillary, in other words you can apply to assmembled parts and it will find its way into thr treads after it is tight hasthe same strength as blue and is Not used on bearings

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll be picking up some blue and maybe some red ASAP.

/\/\ac

Comment

if use loctite on alloys you need to use primer ask when you buy the threadlocker

Comment

Originally posted by its only paint
                  if use loctite on alloys you need to use primer ask when you buy the threadlocker
                  It actually depends onif the metal is "active" or not. Pure aluminum is not active thus Loctite does not work well on it, but our cases and aluminum bits are all aluminum alloy so it works very well. As I recall, there is only one bolt that require the red or super strength thread locker and that is the bolt that holds the bottom cam chain guide:

It's the part labeled #4. This is on a GS1100E but I would guess it would be the same for almost all GS bikes since they all have a center-of-cam chain drive.

For everything else, use the medium strength blue thread locker. Go to

for more info.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                  X