Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove air balance fittings from forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove air balance fittings from forks?

The bike is an '84 GS750EF.

I've trying to go over the forks but I'm stuck at the air balance fittings right now. So far I've taken off the hose that runs between them...and thats its. I can't see and set screws or other fasteners holding them in place but they won't budge from where they sit.

The factory manual says to just remove the C ring and pull the fork tubes out...kinda hard to pull those fitting out of the tree!

I already busted the hose...or one of the fittings... so I thought I'd ask here before I made myself any more problem$.

Thanks!
    /\/\ac

The fork just slides out of the collar. They do get sticky, make sure all your fork pinch bolts are loose and twist the fork until it breaks free and comes out of the bike. If your having trouble holding onto the fork tight enough with your hand clean an exposed portion of the fork tube with a rag and contact cleaner and use a piece of an old inner tube to get better traction. If this fails, try removing the pinch bolts and tapping a small chisel or screwdriver into the split, once your sure thats loose and if you see the air balance collar is the problem you can try and rotate the collar by tapping with a soft hamer or block of soft wood and a regular hammer. Once everything is loose the fork should come right out. See pic I "borrowed" from the Alpha Sports website.

Comment

The factory manual says to just remove the C ring and pull the fork tubes out
      What C ring? What exactly are you trying to do? Remove the fork from the bike or take the guts out of the fork on the bike?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Nick,

The parts I'm trying to get off are #'s 24 and 17. The part I busted is #20.
        Below 24 & 17 on the fork tube there is a C-ring or clip in a groove. I'm guessing now that the parts I'm trying to get off are just stuck in place by O-rings in grooves also. I think at this point I'm just going to leave them where they are...

/\/\ac

Comment

To get the air caps off, you have to pull the forks out of the triple trees. The fork legs have a small hole in them and the air caps are just sealed with o-rings. If you are talking about the circlips that are in the top of the forks, you only remove them to change springs/fork oil. To get those clips out you have to push down on the cap they are holding. A third hand helps a lot.

Comment

Removing 24 and 17

I have disasembled GS11EX forks and some of the following may help you.

Raise and suspend front end of bike.
            Drain fork oil, should be small drain srews at base of forks.
            If there are caps on top of fork tubes remove them, and the rest of the insides. Have a diagram handy as a reference for reassembly.
            Remove and suspend calipers.
            Remove front wheel.
            Remove front fender.
            You may have to remove headlight housing, I don't know your bike.
            Remove 20
            Loosen and remove bolts 14 and 27
            Spray teflon penetrating lubricant on fork tubes between 14 and 27 bolt area.
            If neccesary insert screw driver or wodden shim in 14 and 27 bolt area clamps to slightly open.
            Twist and turn fork tube down and out of triple clamp.
            Spray teflon lubricant on top of 17 and/or 24 and along fork to the top.
            Invert tube, while holding onto 17 or 24 gently tap top of fork tube on soft wood surface. 17 and 24 should break free from their location and slide down to top of fork tube.
            Replace o-ring when reinstalling. Buy 6 not 4 in case you mess up.
            Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X