Carb Boot Clamps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Boot Clamps.

Keith Krause and Jethro http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...998&highlight= have a flat spot thread going, didn't want to highjack it. Their problem is a flat spot at idle and take off. While reading through the thread, I kept thinking about my carb boots that I replaced this spring. I never liked the way the stock retainer clamps bottomed out when tightened. I figured it was a great spot for a vaccum leak. So I bought 8 stainless 2 1/4" radiator clamps, and a can of Duplicolor Metalcast anodize paint, blue, $17.00. I relaced the clamps with new painted new ones, carbs are steady as a rock on the intakes now. They felt like I could pull them off without loosening the old clamps before, with the screws burried full. I actually did pull the rack off with only 2 carbs loose.

Damn camera, motor needs a D&C(dusting & cleaning)

I had a chuga chuga at 2500rpm, which has now smoothed out 80%. The motor idles smoother, doesn't sound like it has a 3/4 race cam. It still pulls like a sumbitch with my old butt on her. So, it may be something others with carb issues could look at. Clamps are snug, not cranked on. They just seal all around much better.

Thanks,
    Chris

Resync the carbs, heaven knows they probably need it.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Re: Carb Boot Clamps.

Originally posted by stiksave
      and a can of Duplicolor anodize paint, blue
      Cool idea...how does it look...got pics?

Comment

you wanna be a little careful not to tighten those clamps too much sometimes they cut into the rubber and break the boots open, especially if the boots are old and hardened a little. They certainly tighten down alot better than the stockers though.

Comment

Yeah, I have brand new carb boots and clamps, Suzuki OEM, and they still bottom out the clamps. Not a bad idea there Stev-e-reno...
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: Carb Boot Clamps.

Originally posted by beby99
            and a can of Duplicolor anodize paint, blue
            Cool idea...how does it look...got pics?

Hey Steve..looks good....that just gave me a whole lot of ideas 8)

Comment

Uh, who the hell is Steve-a-reno? Janet Reno's and Slick Willy Clinton's illegitimate love son? Sex with her wouldn't be cheating either. What a nightmare. (wretch, barf, F my new shoes) :roll:

CHRIS

Comment

I periodically re-shape my stock clamps as they get mashed out from use.
                This works well for me. I like the looks of what you have done man. Looks good.

Comment

CHRIS

Ooops sorry Chris...read Jethro's post and called ya Steve :roll:

Comment

Just Goofin! And Mark, Thanks. The bike is more of a hobby then just a motorcycle. Because it was a peice of crap when I bought it, and I've put so much time into it, the ideas that I get from GSR and improvements that I can think up never end. I imagine most of the members here feel the same about their bikes also. What fun would it be if all you could do was ride the damn thing, LOL.

Thanks,
                    Chris
                    :roll:

Comment

YOH! Do Not, I repeat, Do Not use the radiator clamp idea.

Yo! Forget about using the radiator clamps on your carb boots, please. There's a reason the stock clamps are norrow. I split 2 boots. Good thing I had a ratty extra set. Driving last night and I here a funny noise, sucking sound from the head. Torn boot, I hate carb boots. Went through and checked and replaced the bad ones with the stock clamps, all is well so far.

Chris

Comment

Re: YOH! Do Not, I repeat, Do Not use the radiator clamp id

I hate carb boots. Chris
                        Amen, brother.

Comment

Re: YOH! Do Not, I repeat, Do Not use the radiator clamp id

Yo! Forget about using the radiator clamps on your carb boots, please. There's a reason the stock clamps are norrow. I split 2 boots. Good thing I had a ratty extra set. Driving last night and I here a funny noise, sucking sound from the head. Torn boot, I hate carb boots. Went through and checked and replaced the bad ones with the stock clamps, all is well so far.

Chris
                          I thought this might happen. I didn't want to say anything negative because you were proud of your idea. I didn't actually know this would happen, but because of the possibility, I've never installed standard hose clamps or suggested it.
                          The stock clamps do a pretty good job, even if bottomed out, as long as the manifold rubber is in good condition. The narrow clamps exert pressure where it's needed. Some carbs/manifolds are a little different, but my manifolds have a rubber ring that mates with the carbs groove. It doesn/t take that much torque to seal this design...if the parts are in good condition.
                          You can usually re-tweak the clamp ends to make things fit tight enough.
                          If the clamps are too loose or can still be rotated, then the manifolds are probably dented or in poor condition. New clamps may work too.
                          You could also try to modify the clamps. I haven't actually tried modifying them but it could work.
                          Just off the top of my head...if you use a quality rubber that will handle heat/sunlight and not too soft, you may be able to cut some very thin rubber into strips just a little wider than the clamps. Position the strip on the manifold or in the clamp and tighten. You may even use some adhesive to join the clamp with the rubber, so it will be one piece and not be as hard to line up before tightening. The rubber has to be very thin though. Might work.
                          Another thought (because I'm drinking a soda this minute) is to take an aluminum can and cut some strips from it. Sand any rough edges smooth. Then use the aluminum strip instead of the rubber. You'll have to make a precise cut on the strip length so the ends just meet (or close to meeting) when the clamp is tight. You don't want one end to overlap the other too much and possibly dig into the manifold rubber.
                          These are just ideas. Not verified repairs.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I think it may have worked if the intake tubes didn't get as hot as they do, part of the head on the 1100 16v. A combination of the heat and the uneven end of the tubes. The other clamps might work with the shim idea Kieth. Bicyle tube rubber might work.

Trying to out think the engineering is a challenge. (a better mouse trap) Getting the boots square on both the head and the carbs is also a wonderful chore, (high on my pita list) plus getting all 8 ends home so it stays together.

With the K&N pods, does anyone ever support the carb rack? The stock box took care of this, but support is elliminated with pods. Some electrical ties from the rack to the frame? Just wondering. (thinking) :roll:

Thanks,
                            Chris

Comment

I don't really think the carbs need more support. The clamps are stronger than you may think.
                              I agree mounting them more solidly would add some confidence though.
                              I'm not sure where you'd mount a support. It would have to be near the rear to do any good, by the filters. As you said, cable ties, though cosmetically crude, could work I suppose. Or one long piece of black insulated #12/14 solid copper wire looped around at least 2 or more filters (completely around the clamps) and back over the frame could help.
                              But I think the clamps will support the carbs by themselves. I've never heard anyone say their carbs came out or blamed intake leaks/cracking on the lack of support.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X