Changing steering head bearings/83 GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing steering head bearings/83 GS1100ED

OK, so I have taken the plunge to do some mid-summer repair work on my 1983 GS1100E.
    I always like to save it till winter but no luck this time.
    I am replacing the steering head bearings due to slack and while going through the Suzuki manual, I kept seeing all the special tools I need to do the job.
    My question is, do I need any Suzuki tools or can I get the bearings out and the new ones in ok??
    Thanks.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

I did my 83 GS750ES this past winter without any special tools. You'll need to drift out the outer races and that may require something the average joe doesn't have. I used an aligning punch or long screw driver can't remember which. When installing the outer races I used sockets to drift them in. They were kinda large (> 1") but I had some old sockets my dad left. I never could get the bearing off the stem. Fortunately I do accounting for a manufacturer that has a machine shop full of biker types. They were happy to cut it off and press the new one on. I ignored the assembly procedures about tightening and adjusting the stem nut. On advice from my brother (service mgr for a BMW dealer) I just got it real hand tight (the manual said take if to 30 ft lb) moved the stem back and forth to seat the bearings then baked it off and set it to no slack but free to move. Got about 5K on it since then and no problems yet. LOL \/

Comment

Doug, I have all the tools you'll need. Drift to punch the old races out, and a homemade bearing press that works beauty. Invite me over to the seacost some day and I'll bring 'em along for ya.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        Doug, I have all the tools you'll need. Drift to punch the old races out, and a homemade bearing press that works beauty. Invite me over to the seacost some day and I'll bring 'em along for ya.
        Once I get the parts in from Paul Miller, I am ordering on Friday, I will gladly invite you over. 8) 8) 8)
        Once again Paul was able to beat Bike Bandit and everyone else I checked. Plus all my parts will be NOS 8) 8) 8) :twisted: :twisted:
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Even better than Ron Ayers? For Suzuki OEM, they have always been the cheapest for me.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Steering Stem Bearings

Hi Doug. I just saw the post and am wondering how the job went for you?

Comment

Not too bad. Took a bearing puller to get the lower stem bearing race out. Was able to get the upper race out by hammer and flathead screwdriver.
              The bearing on the stem itself was a bear but with determination and teflon spray it came off.
              Overall not too bad. I think my biggest pain was getting all the iwres hooked back right in the headlight shell. 8O
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

The right tool?

Of these items:

is any of them useful for pulling the steering head bearings? What about wheel bearing?

Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Re: The right tool?

Originally posted by rbuzaleski
                  Of these items:

is any of them useful for pulling the steering head bearings? What about wheel bearing?

Thanks for any advice.
                  This is the one I opted for.

It has the arms that can be flipped over. Pulls the steering head bearing's race right out. You will need a piece of small steel/iron to put the center bolt on.
                  I figured it will be well worth the $30 I paid for it at the local AutoZone. 8) 8)
                  While you are at it, get a good cold chisel. That to came in handy for the lower stem bearing. 8O :x
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Re: The right tool?

Originally posted by crag antler
                    Originally posted by rbuzaleski
                    Of these items:

Thanks for any advice.
                    This is the one I opted for.

It has the arms that can be flipped over. Pulls the steering head bearing's race right out. You will need a piece of small steel/iron to put the center bolt on.
                    I figured it will be well worth the $30 I paid for it at the local AutoZone. 8) 8)
                    While you are at it, get a good cold chisel. That to came in handy for the lower stem bearing. 8O :x
                    Will these do the job? I have to change mine too.

Comment

Working...
                    X