Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting / Running Issues

Hello all!

I have a 1982 GS850 GLZ with 15,000 miles on it. I have issues starting the bike and also shortly thereafter.

At all temperatures, even when I rode the bike today at 80 degrees, I have trouble getting my bike started! The starter turns the motor over fine. The problem is that I have to crank it upwards of 30-40 times before the engine catches and runs. Then when it has started, even when fiddling with the choke, I have to keep revving the engine constantly for 2-3 minutes or the bike will quickly slow down and stall.

Once I have the bike on the road, for the first 3-5 minutes, it seems like one of the cylinders is missing fairly frequently. For the next thirty minutes or so, the bike runs very smoothly, except for an occasional miss every 1-2 minutes.

What the heck is going on with my bike? Please tell me it's something very, very simple, like my spark plugs or something! I know very little about fixing motorcycles!

Thanks!

Could it be as simple as needing new coils or something?

Comment

TC,
      It's unclear to me if the bike is cold when you have trouble starting, or if the problem persists even when the bike is warmed up. It makes a big difference.

Ace.

Comment

The bike is cold when I have the problems. Once the bike is warmed up, the problems go away.

Once the bike is warmed up, it starts up -instantly-.

-Erik

Comment

Then it may be your choke linkage. The cable becomes disconnected easily on this bike. Move your choke lever back and forth and watch the front of the carbs to make sure the linkage is moving.

If that's not it, it could be a lot of things...

Ace.

Comment

Working...
          X