No announcement yet.

Stripped Oil Pan Drain Bolt hole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jake, yeah the header pipes need to be loosen and they will or should drop enough out of the way to get to the pan. Sounds like your going to have the steel insert installed, good chioce. The self tapping plugs are just band aids, this is a permanent fix and no more worries about stripping it again. Oh, one thing i forgot to mention about the steel insert. once installed, take a look an see if your pan has some slots next to the insert. once the insert is install, it will have a shoulder slightly blocking the slots. take a dremel tool and lightly grind down the insert shoulders even to the bottom of the pan, this lets the oil completely drain out then.

Comment

oil pan drain plug

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I went to Advanced Auto and bought a rubber expandable plug (temporary) and it doesnt seem to leak but I will be fixing it the right way over winter. Thanks Again! Jake

Comment

Hang in there Detman. The ride will be that much sweeter when she is running again.
        2010 Honda VFR1200F
        1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
        Being Revisited
        1981 Honda CM400T
        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Ever notice how problems run in the group? One person has one then 3-4 others have the same thing happen shortly there after? :roll: My bike had been sitting out almost 10 years when I got it and now that I have it running I've been having all kinds of little issues pop up. Fixing one problem triggers another. Lately it has been seals and leaks. I had the gear shaft seal go (there's a thread for that problem LOL) and some leaking around the drain plug, so I ordered a shaft seal and new drain plug and crush washer and a couple other gaskets. When I got to the drain plug it came out funny (spun a lot before dropping). When I went to put the new plug in I noticed it was WAY smaller than the one that was in there. Long story short... the threads in the pan are stripped and it looks like someone has done the oversize plug, probably more than once judging by the size of the plug now. So... I jumped on E-bay and snagged a good used pan from a guy I've bought lots of parts from. It was only $15 and will be here Monday. And yes you do have to pull the exhaust to get at the pan. I've already had to do that once to get the bike on a jack when I was doing some other work a couple weeks ago. It's pretty easy. There are two nuts on each trumpet to take off and the header bolts, that's all. Might need a couple extra hands to set the whole thing on the ground. Then it's just 12 bolts in the pan. I think I'll take the old pan and do some sort of coil/sleeve fix and keep it around just in case.

Comment

Working...
          X