Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000 Carb Issues

Hey there,

I am very new to the whole motorcycle scene. I took the course this year and after purchased a beautiful referbed 1980 GS1000. I road it for a bit but there seemed to be some crab issues so I took it in for service. Well that was TWO months ago. When cleaning the carbs, the mechanic noticed that the person who restored the bike put in an incorrect "pilot screw". So he's been waiting for the screw for this long. He just now informed me that the screw is no longer made so he suggested putting in a new carbs. Well there aren't any around my area for a 1980 GS1000 so he's going to try out different carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions here for what I can do? I have found on the net crab kits for a 1980 GS1000 but don't know if they'd work. I know, sorry guys, newbie here. I just miss riding!

carbs you need

I believe I have a complete set of carbs for your bike. If your interested, holler and I'll give you more details.

Comment

Oh yeah: Don't let the mechanic sell you a new set. Pilot screws/jets and such are easy to find (and purchase). You are at the right site.

Comment

Re: 1980 GS1000 Carb Issues

Originally posted by GS1000 Beauty
        Hey there,
        Howdy!

I am very new to the whole motorcycle scene. I took the course this year and after purchased a beautiful referbed 1980 GS1000. I road it for a bit but there seemed to be some crab issues so I took it in for service. Well that was TWO months ago. When cleaning the carbs, the mechanic noticed that the person who restored the bike put in an incorrect "pilot screw". So he's been waiting for the screw for this long.
        Full of crap!

He just now informed me that the screw is no longer made so he suggested putting in a new carbs.
        Then he hasn't been waiting on one for two months... he's been putting you off for two months.

Well there aren't any around my area for a 1980 GS1000 so he's going to try out different carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions here for what I can do?
        Someone here will know... although I don't, It seems a little extreme to go try other carbs to fix a bad pilot screw.

I know, sorry guys, newbie here. I just miss riding!
        That I completely understand! I would seriously consider going to the mechanic and getting your bike back, right then, in whatever condition it's currently in, and taking it elsewere, or picking up a manual and giving it a go.

Great people here, tons of info, and always willing to help.

Welcome to the GSR.

Comment

Seems like bad mechanicing (*new word)

You must be able to get pilot jets for that carb...somewheres

Comment

YOU can get anything you need for the carb from
            www.motorcyclecarbs.com OR

Comment

Get your bike away from that mechanic ASAP. I am not even remotely joking. If he thinks this about the carbs (he is waaaaay off!) I wouldn't want him working on anything else either.

All the info you need is right here.

See Lynn's post above.

Welcome to the GSR

Comment

Working...
              X