Help with front suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with front suspension

HELP!!! about 3 or 4 years ago my bike was involved in a crash and there was some front end damage! I had to replace the front rim due to damage and was able to get the bike on the road, the problem is that the suspension was stiff,, I replaced the fork tubes with a pair from the salvage yard and it was a bit better. A year or so later I've replaced the tripple tree and still no difference in ride quality,, I know this bike rode alot smother in the front than it does now, Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? the last thing left to check is the frame! Any ideas on how I can do this?? anyone have the stock wheel to wheel measurement with the bike on the workstand and both front and rear suspension at full droop? Any other ideas?

Matt
    79 GS1000EN

Stiffer ride has nothing to do with the frame. When you replaced the fork tubes did you use the correct weight and volume of fork oil? Before you assembled them did you check for binding. Did you also replace the bushings?
    Axel

Comment

yes I used the correct weight and volume of fork oil,, and yes the bushings were measured and found to be in decent shape by a bike mechanic,, but if the frame head tube is no longer straight with the reast of the geometry or the frame head tube is pointed a bit too far straight down,, Then YES the ride could be effected,,, That's why I'm looking for the stock measurement!

Comment

I would double check and make sure that the used fork tubes are straight. you said it helped when you replaced them but they could be tweeked a little

Comment

Working...
        X