No announcement yet.

Gas in the crankcase oil - again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone. All of your comments have helped me make up my mind. Like when Keith said "just like you did with your dirt bikes" - see, that's exactly the point, of the 5 dirt bikes I owned over 30 years I never, ever, even once during the entire time I owned them all remembered to turn off the fuel even one time! I never ever did it even once! There is no way in heven or hell I will ever remember to turn off the petcock. It is simply impossible for me to remember. Not sure why. So there is no way I am going that route. I was talking with Duane Saturday morning before the ride and realized that hey, things break and we simply fix them. That's what we do on these 25+ year old bikes. This is no different. I already have the stock rebuild kit so I'll just do it.

Now on another note. What Ron said. And some others combined. I think the issue is a saturated float. I know the needles and seats were good and the fuel is filtered going into the carbs and the carbs just cleaned so the most likely culprit is a saturated/bad float. My rememberer is rememberering this set of carbs doing this on my other bike. The gas took out a crank end and baring.

I say that because I am getting gas in my oil while I ride.

Petcock needs rebuilt anyway so I'll do that. And I am going to swap my floats with the set from my other carbs which I know are good.

Thanks a million guys

Comment

OK, the petcock is rebuilt. New float needles and seats installed and known good floats installed. I changed the oil again.

We'll see if this gets it when I ride it to work tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
        OK, the petcock is rebuilt. New float needles and seats installed and known good floats installed. I changed the oil again.

Hey theres another 22 pages left yet :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by wrench

No worries mate. This is a Hoom thread :twisted:

Comment

No worries mate. This is a Hoom thread :twisted:
            Dont we know it already :twisted:

Comment

To me, the Pingel valve is an upgrade.
              When you live long term with a bike, you get rid of the weak points, which the stock petcock is.
              In a way, the new valve is no different than a good pipe, pods, piston kit, cams...you just get used to the change.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Comment

Rain!!! Grrrrrr :x

I'll have to test tomorrow. Looks good from sitting over night though.

Comment

Well I fixed several things at one time so I am not sure what fixed it but this is resolved. It needed the petcock rebuilt anyway, the valve needles and seats I had new so there was no sense in not putting them in there while I was at it. And the floats have been suspect before for other reasons so all three things needed done anyway IMHO. Normally I would fix one thing at a time in order to find a problem but I am just as happy that this one is gone.

3 days now and my oil still looks nice and clean and at the same level. No gas smell in the crankcase.

Rock on 8)

Comment

Good news man.

Now ride that thing. 8)

Comment

=D> Good job.

Comment

Working...
                        X