Won't run without choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't run without choke

I just took my bike out for a quick blast to see how it was running and noticed an odd problem. Before departing, I warmed it up with the choke on for 5 minutes. With the choke off I could not get the bike to run without holding open the throttle. Does anybody know what would cause this to happen?

Maybe try Adjusting the Throttle stop.

Comment

Originally posted by sagent
      MAybe try Adjusting the Throttle stop.
      This would work, but won't fix what the problem really is.

As much as I hate to say it, we may be tearing into these carbs.

I don't know if the O ring kits from Mr Barr would work or not as these are the dual barrels.

Also would quite possably need some gaskets as well.

Amos

Comment

Joe,

I was just thinking as well.

Check your air filter. It may need some attention, I'm not sure if it should be oiled or not, but I did notice last night it looked and felt dry.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed
          Joe,

I was just thinking as well.

Check your air filter. It may need some attention, I'm not sure if it should be oiled or not, but I did notice last night it looked and felt dry.

Amos
          Ok; how do I pull it out?

Comment

Originally posted by sagent
            MAybe try Adjusting the Throttle stop.
            This would work, but won't fix what the problem really is.

As much as I hate to say it, we may be tearing into these carbs.

I don't know if the O ring kits from Mr Barr would work or not as these are the dual barrels.

Also would quite possably need some gaskets as well.

Amos
            Geeze sounds like quite a bit of fun...

Comment

Just a thought/theory: Could the old gas in the tank have something to do with the problem?

Comment

Your bike is running too lean. That's why she only runs with full choke. Detman just helped me clean mine out cause mine were doing the same thing before.
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T
                http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Dirty pilot circuit, or at last that's part of your problem.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                    Keith is the man, so this is probably it.

Now, as for how to best take care of it.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                      Keith is the man, so this is probably it.

Now, as for how to best take care of it.

Amos
                      You know the answer. That bike sat. Those carbs need to come apart and be dipped. Then new o-rings and gaskets and setup fresh. If the bike is all stock your on for an easy job

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                        You know the answer. That bike sat. Those carbs need to come apart and be dipped. Then new o-rings and gaskets and setup fresh. If the bike is all stock your on for an easy job
                        Yeah, the bike is stock, but it's got the odd dual barrel carbs. And I don't know if Mr. Barr's O ring kits will fit the bill.

The good news is he'd only need two gaskets rather than the four I'm working on sourcing at the moment.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                          Yeah, the bike is stock, but it's got the odd dual barrel carbs. And I don't know if Mr. Barr's O ring kits will fit the bill.

The good news is he'd only need two gaskets rather than the four I'm working on sourcing at the moment.

Amos
                          The o-rings can be had from mostly anywhere. BB should be able to find them and/or just go to Trans Am. If not there either Joe Paparo can get them bro.

Comment

Working...
                          X