Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden Gas Leak!

Hello all,

About an hour ago, I went down to my garage and found a wide trail of gasoline running from my 1982 GS850 GL (15,000 miles) into the drain in the floor!

I'll tell you everything I can think of and hopefully someone can tell me why this happened.

This afternoon, around 5 hours before I found the leak, I had changed the spark plugs (it really smoothed the engine out!). To test to make sure I was getting proper power with the new plugs, I quickly took the bike out and accelerated HARD for about 400 feet, turned around, and accelerated hard again for the 400 feet to my driveway. I then parked the bike in the garage.

When I found the leak, it was the result of gas pouring from the carburetors into the airbox. The filter soaked up a lot of it like a sponge and once it was saturated, it leaked out of the airbox sidecover and on to the ground. I pulled the side off the airbox, got the excess gasoline out of the sponge and the leak stopped, though about two cups of gasoline ended up on my floor and in my drain.

Could this simply be because of starting the bike, accelerating like crazy for a few feet and then parking it, flooding the carbs? I hope this is all it was.

Please tell me what you think the problem might have been, oh mighty GS gurus!!!

You Have two Problems, 1th The petcock is not shutting off, 2th the carb float needles need to be cleaned- maybe replaced. HAVE the O rings in the carb ever been replaced??

Comment

I would also change the oil CHeap nsurance against having gas in the crankcase

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        I would also change the oil CHeap nsurance against having gas in the crankcase
        Or blowing the head-gasket.
        2010 Honda VFR1200F
        1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
        Being Revisited
        1981 Honda CM400T
        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Working...
        X