gs1100 performance above 6000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 performance above 6000 rpm

Ok, Yet another question (you guys have all been great by the way) I finnaly have my bike the way I want it, but of course there are always little things that need improvement
    Any way So I did a carb sync the other day and now I cant get the bike to idle lower then about 13-1500 rpms, As the bike warms up the idle climbs about 150 rpms so on any given day its between 1200 and 2000, now I never had this problem before the sync, and I didn't touch the intake boots, I actually about a month ago replaced the boots on the air box side, My plugs look good. The wierd thing is sometimes it doesn't change and sometimes it does.
    Also if I put anything but high octane in this bike it pings like crazy, I did a compression test and it came back 165 pounds on all four, so with a bike with 20000 miles on it this seems strange to me.
    I bought this bike thinking that it was pretty much stock , save the 4 into 1 vance and hines exhaust upon later inspection I noticed that it had an aftermarket clutch basic.
    So I guess my question is this, would doing a carb sync cause the bikes rpm to fluctuate.
    Also Would having after market cams in the bike, make it pull like crazy over 6000 rpms, I was told that these bikes power bands prety much stop about 6000 so Why would it feel like it really got alot of power over 6000, Even in 5th gear it will damn near pull your arms out of the socket when you hit that rpm. Any way I know it has been alot of reading
    Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed
    Thanks
    Rob

Re: gs1100 performance above 6000 rpm

Someone told you wrong about the power band. It doesnt end at 6000 rpm. It STARTS at 6000 rpm. :-) :-) Range is about 6000 to 8500 for the power band. eh eh

For the pinging, you might want to richen your mixtures slightly and retard the timing 1 to 2 deg. In the hot Fl weather, I have to do that on my 1150 or I will get a little pinging. I also have to run at least 89 octane which is what the manual for the bike says it should have.

Earl

Originally posted by rspector
    Ok, Yet another question (you guys have all been great by the way) I finnaly have my bike the way I want it, but of course there are always little things that need improvement
    Any way So I did a carb sync the other day and now I cant get the bike to idle lower then about 13-1500 rpms, As the bike warms up the idle climbs about 150 rpms so on any given day its between 1200 and 2000, now I never had this problem before the sync, and I didn't touch the intake boots, I actually about a month ago replaced the boots on the air box side, My plugs look good. The wierd thing is sometimes it doesn't change and sometimes it does.
    Also if I put anything but high octane in this bike it pings like crazy, I did a compression test and it came back 165 pounds on all four, so with a bike with 20000 miles on it this seems strange to me.
    I bought this bike thinking that it was pretty much stock , save the 4 into 1 vance and hines exhaust upon later inspection I noticed that it had an aftermarket clutch basic.
    So I guess my question is this, would doing a carb sync cause the bikes rpm to fluctuate.
    Also Would having after market cams in the bike, make it pull like crazy over 6000 rpms, I was told that these bikes power bands prety much stop about 6000 so Why would it feel like it really got alot of power over 6000, Even in 5th gear it will damn near pull your arms out of the socket when you hit that rpm. Any way I know it has been alot of reading
    Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed
    Thanks
    Rob
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

how do i retard the timing?

Comment

If your intake boots leak?? it will run very lean & IT will cause it to ping. I used to have problems with my 850 pinging until I replace the intake boots

Comment

I would check for leaks around the intake boots and recheck my synch, could your synch tool be inaccurate/defective?

Comment

Working...
          X