1977 GS 750 engine swap into 1977 GS 550 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

papered frame?

kevin, what's a 'papered' frame? or were you being sarcastic?

tx
    p.

Comment

Papered frame is a bare frame that has the ownership papers

Comment

papered frame to the rescue

kevin, you're the best!! this solves my problems, i'll just transport everything but the frame and once there (even if i have to pay some duty fees for parts that will look like heaps of junk to the customs officials) i just buy a papered frame and re-assemble this beauty of an engine and all the other components and have it legally registered in my name.

and i think i was dreaming when i said i would drive it only around my property, i KNOW i would get the urge to drive it in public areas and doing so without registration and insurance is a recipe for disaster...

kevin i wanna thank you and the rest of the guys on this great site!

Comment

Junkyard would be a good source for a frame with birth certificate. If you only want the frame it could be done. Unless it ran into a wall you might find one that is straight enough.

Personally, I would just buy another bike over there rather than try to go through all of this. Having lived there and asia I can tell you regulations for inspection and safety are tighter than in the US and at the end of the day you'll see I'm right.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

junkyard blues

thanks duaneage, you may be right after all, just that i'm worried that i may not find a 77 750 in the shape that mine is in.

moreover, i already have two other bikes there, the so-called "hassle" you allude to would in fact be a "fun" project for me, i.e. my best friend who is a harley mechanic would do the work and i would get an opportunity to watch him, help out a bit and mort importantly to LEARN how to do this type of stuff myself... its this rationale that's behind my madness...

hence, seeing as the personal who will likely be re-assembling the bike will do it for free, and seeing as i may or may not have to pay duty fees for an assortment of parts, the only visible expense so far is a papered frame, i doubt that buying a new 77 gs would be cheaper?

anyone condone my strategy? so far i've been getting "ain't worth it", is there anyone out there who doesn't think i'm getting myself into a slue of undue stress and expenditure (so as to make me feel better

p.

Comment

Working...
            X