GS750ES fork oil level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750ES fork oil level.

I don't have (right here and now) an easy way to measure the exact volume of fork oil... is the 170mm from the top of the fork way a reliable method?

I figure it'll be easy to collapse the fork and C-clamp a rod with a tube wire tied to it exactly 170mm down the inside of the fork, fill by eye until just proud of the tube and then suction out the extra. Should the fork be collapsed for this or extended the manual doesnt really say.

Is 8-10psi a good number to shoot for on air pressure? I'm 6'3" and 240lbs

/\/\ac

as to air pressure - use a low pressure pump like a pushbike pump
    and have the bike on the sidestand. Let out any air then pump up
    just till the bike sits up on the pressure. You'll see it lifting. You
    can't really measure it 'cos you let air out doing that and there
    aint much in there.

Comment

Originally posted by xifer
      as to air pressure - use a low pressure pump like a pushbike pump
      and have the bike on the sidestand. Let out any air then pump up
      just till the bike sits up on the pressure. You'll see it lifting. You
      can't really measure it 'cos you let air out doing that and there
      aint much in there.
      I can measure it, as I put it in. I'm using a Mighty Vac with a more precise gauge (1-20psi) so I can pretty much put it where I want it. The forks are also off the bike at this point because I just painted the frame and I'm giving it a few days to really harden before I start bolting things on....and it'll give me time to figure out where this washer came from......

Thanks for the tips though!
      /\/\ac

Comment

I found the answer in the archives:

"REPLY: Matthew T. McGarvey
        I have found the most accurate method to be the method in the factory manual (I have a 1983 GS750E) where the level is measured from the top of the tube (collapsed with no spring) to the oil.

Rather than splurge for a Suzuki tool which screws in the fork tube, however, I managed to improvise a tool for nothing. Take a Slurpee straw (or other large diameter drinking straw) and clip a regular spring clothespin to it at the right length for the level required. Set it on the top of the upright tube so the straw dangles into the fork oil. Siphon oil out until it draws air, and that is the correct level. Repeat on other fork tube.

The problem with measuring is the possibility of residual fluid in the fork. It will be close, but a level reading is more accurate."
        /\/\ac

Comment

Working...
        X