1981 GS1100EX clutch dragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100EX clutch dragging

I bought this 20k 81GS1100EX earlier this year. Previous owner(s) were not mechanically inclined. It ran, but not well. It sputtered, popped, backfired and had low compression on two cylinders (1 and 2). I bought it because it had a lot of new parts that I could use on the 81EX that I purchased new from dealer and have held onto over the years.

I have corrected the compression, adjusted the valves, cleaned but not synced the carbs, and the thing runs very well now. It runs so well if fact that I am beginning to think that I might have a runner here. The next order of business is the clutch.

Even in neutral, unless the lever is pulled in, it feels as if the clutch is not fully released, that is it feels as if the bike was almost in gear but slipping. I have adjusted the cable to put the right amount of slack in the cable but no change. I am a firm believer in the doctors credo of do no harm to the patient. Before I open the patient up can anybody think of anything that I can do externally to stop the dragging clutch? Also feedback on clutch replacement parts, what is good, bad, or a waste of money for a stock 11 would be much appreciated. And is there anything that I should take care of while I have the clutch cover off? Let me know what you think. I have scheduled the operating room for this weekend.

I've heard this symptom can result from something as simple as too thick an oil in the crankcase. Are you using the recommended oil for the bike?

Apart from that, you'll need help from the experts.

Ace.

Comment

Its often like flyingace says, oil quality. Hears my story. Bike runs great and I need to top up the oil after an oil change. I use Mobil 1 20 50 with great success, the trans and clutch love it. i top it up with some castrol syntec I had. All hell break loose, the clutch wont release and drags like crazy, the oil turns black quickly in an engine that never colours its oil at all. It is obvious that the clutch is sluffing off into the oil. Change filter and change oil to a cheap 10 40. I run this for a few east miles to flush things out and give it another change into mobil 1 20 50 again with new filter. All is well again. Before I switched to mobil 1 I tried various oils but never had the smooth shifting and happy clutch I found with mobil 1
      The moral of the story is that it is infinatly important to choose the correct oil for these machines and this should be done before tearing it apart with the best of intentions.

Comment

Dragging clutch due to oil vicosity

Originally posted by flyingace
        I've heard this symptom can result from something as simple as too thick an oil in the crankcase. Are you using the recommended oil for the bike?Ace.
        Ace, 3phase, I am shamed to say it, but I don't know what weight or type of oil is in the crankcase. The guy I bought the bike from said that it had been serviced and was ready to roll. He further stated that he would be fully comfortable riding this bike to Florida. After starting the bike for me and letting it run, badly, I did a compression check on it. Two cylinders were way too low for this bike to be considered road worthy. I bought the bike as a parts/project bike. I never changed the oil after I got it because I assumed it would be a parts bike.

I think that before I open it up it I will do what 3phase did. I think it would be a good idea to change the oil. Just get some off the shelf 10W40 and run it through to flush out the system like he did. Then reassess the clutch drag. If it's something as simple as the oil being to thick then I'll be happy to fill up the crank with some good stuff and let sleeping dogs be. No sense in fixin what ain't broke. This bike has other issues that need tending to. Thanks for the feedback

Comment

another clutch question

My sweetheart (80' GS750L) has started actin' up a little. When I'm really gettin' on it and shifting from second to third (with revs around 6K) the clutch seems to be taking its' time and causing the transition from second to third to take much to long.. This never happens during normal sensible crusing. Is it perhaps time for a clutch plates??? Fibers/steels, what do you reckon??

Thanks Much from the Mountains: david

Comment

Working...
          X