Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850 carbs - is there any difference between 79 & 80?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 carbs - is there any difference between 79 & 80?

HELP...

I have a chance to buy a GS850 shaft bike from a co-worker that's been sitting a while - the carbs need cleaning badly and I can't find a carb kit for this bike - just the 80-83 models.
    Are the carbs the same on the 79 & 80 model GS850's?
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Is the kit for the 79 GS750 closer?
    http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=487 - the carbs look similar to the ones on my 78 GS750

I checked Sirius up in Canada and Z1 Enterprises - both only cover the 80-83 GS850 carb kits

Anything I should be aware of that's a problem with these bikes? It looks like I need to rebuild either the front master cylinder or the calipers - the front brake is locked on at the moment? He's asking $500 - is that a good price for one of these bikes - it has been parked for a few years - looks decent, appears all original with just 18,000 miles on it - just some light surface rust on the chrome parts, some minor scuffs and scrapes - the tank is nice and clean inside.

Thanks

I just posted a question about some subtle differences that I discovered when trying to upgrade my 1980 carbs with a 1982 set. So be sure to get a very close look at what you are getting--may even want to do some actual measurements and note different jet sizes.

FWIW, you may only need to do a good cleaning of the carbs by following the Carb Cleanup link on the homepage, and perhaps invest in an o-ring kit, and possibly new float bowl gaskets. Although, I've managed to re-use my gaskets. (I hope that's not heresy! 8O )

Good luck.

Comment

I am still rather new to the Suzuki line, but I am under the impression that the 79s had the old-style carbs, the 80-83s had the CV carbs. Seems that I saw some kits on eBay earlier this evening.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If these bikes rest, they rust and not just on the chrome. If it has been sitting you should realize that it is going to take some work and $$$$ to get it road worthy. Without seeing it and testing things I could not tell you if it was worth it but a non running bike is harder to diagnose and electrical problems are common on GS bikes and although the solutions are there they can be expensive. This is a 25 year old bike, remember that. Count on carbs needing a cleaning and that is a 70 dollar project alone.

Personally I would toss him half what he is asking and see what he does, The breakup value on eBay is about 400-500 so if you find it is a basket case you could part it out and get your money back.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If I could get an 850 with only 18K for $500, I would jump on it. They don't make engines like that any more, and owner probably doesn't know what a pearl he has. Just my opinion.

Ace.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace
            If I could get an 850 with only 18K for $500, I would jump on it. They don't make engines like that any more, and owner probably doesn't know what a pearl he has. Just my opinion.

Ace.
            You have one already so it is worth more to you but if your starting out you have to really consider the costs of getting a bike on the road. Fi you bought it you would probably think about using it for parts, especially if it needs brakes, tires, carbs and electrical work.

Those items alone can run a tab close to 500 dollars.

Comment

they are different

I can say that the carbs between a 79' and an 80' are different, they are not a straight across swap out. I have a 79' that I temporarily put an 80' engine in and I had to make adapter plates as the intake ports are larger on the 80'. The original engine is back in, so it is no longer an issue for me, but at best it was a temporary fix. I believe you can swap out carbs between years on the 850 with all years except for the 79'.

Luke

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                Originally posted by flyingace

Ace.
                You have one already so it is worth more to you but if your starting out you have to really consider the costs of getting a bike on the road. Fi you bought it you would probably think about using it for parts, especially if it needs brakes, tires, carbs and electrical work.

Those items alone can run a tab close to 500 dollars.
                I can agree to disagree on this. Other things can nickle and dime you it's true, but the engine is where the big money can drain. Having only 18K on the clock is a rare prize and worth $500 right there. Even if he sinks $500 into the other things, he has a nicely restored 850 with only 18K miles for $1000.

Comment

I doubt I will get the bike unless I find a source for carb kits or carb parts. I was hoping someone would know where to get carb kits for the 79 GS850 - or what parts from other kits will fit. For example: are the 1979 GS750 carbs basically the same - the carbs on my 78 look very similar to the 79 carbs - but the 79 850 has a choke cable rather than a lever on the side of the carbs.

I have seen the bike and it is decent - but it does not run and the tank is full of stale gas (but no rust).

Comment

partsnmore.com part# 48-1414

$12 per kit

Chris

Comment

Chris - thanks for posting the info - I checked out the partnmore site and their kit shows it fits the GS750 as well as the GS850. I can't believe they want $12 for such a meager kit though - damn - just two gaskets and a float needle valve.

I'll probably get a full rebuiild kit for the GS750 and use that - anything extra I can keep for the 750

Comment

Hi Sleepy - we just had a customer ask about GS850 carb kits - yes, the 78/79 GS750 carb kit you mentioned in your earlier post are very close to what you need. The float bowl gasket, the top gasket, float needle valve assembly, main jet, pilot jet are all the same. The air screw / fuel screw is different - but that's about the only difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy
                          Chris - thanks for posting the info - I checked out the partnmore site and their kit shows it fits the GS750 as well as the GS850. I can't believe they want $12 for such a meager kit though - damn - just two gaskets and a float needle valve.

I'll probably get a full rebuiild kit for the GS750 and use that - anything extra I can keep for the 750
                          Well look at it this way:

1. At lest they still make parts in this throwaway world for a 25 year old carb
                          2. This should be good for another 25 years.
                          3. Cheaper than a 10000.00 new one

Comment

I'm probably going to get the bike - I just need to look at it this weekend - then figure out how to get it home.

Comment

Working...
                            X