Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain size?

Umm.. I'm asking this for a friend...

How do I, I mean how does he tell the difference between 530 and 630? I've got a chain soaking in kero right now that came off one of my parts bikes and it's smaller than I remember the really rusted chain on the other bike being. So far I've only found the number of teeth pressed into the rear sprocket.

Thanks,
    uh, for my friend.
    /\/\ac

Re: Chain size?

On a 630 chain the distance from the outside of one roller to the opposite side of the next one is about 30 millimeter, (1.19")
    on a 530 chain it is about 25 millimeter. (0.99")
    1000-1100 (also 750 I think) use 630 as stock, 550 has 530.
    But 1000-1100 can be converted to 530, my Katana is.

Originally posted by Macmatic
    Umm.. I'm asking this for a friend...

How do I, I mean how does he tell the difference between 530 and 630? I've got a chain soaking in kero right now that came off one of my parts bikes and it's smaller than I remember the really rusted chain on the other bike being. So far I've only found the number of teeth pressed into the rear sprocket.

Thanks,
    uh, for my friend.
    /\/\ac

Comment

630 chain: pitch 3/4" width 3/8"
      530 chain: pitch 5/8" width 3/8"

Pitch is the distance from the center of one pin to the center of the next.
      Width is the distance between side plates.

Comment

How do I, I mean how does he tell the difference between 530 and 630?
        Well, for your "friend's" benefit, the chain number is an intelligent number and indicates the physical size. The first digit is the pitch in 1/8" increments and the second digit is the width in 1/8" increments. So a 630 has a 3/4" pitch (6 x 1/8") and is 3/8" wide (3 x 1/8"). You will have no problem telling the two apart, 630 looks positively HUGE compared to 530.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
          Well, for your "friend's" benefit, the chain number is an intelligent number and indicates the physical size. The first digit is the pitch in 1/8" increments and the second digit is the width in 1/8" increments. So a 630 has a 3/4" pitch (6 x 1/8") and is 3/8" wide (3 x 1/8"). You will have no problem telling the two apart, 630 looks positively HUGE compared to 530.

Mark
          Thanks to all of you, I'll pass on the info to my...um, friend. Sure glad >I< don't have to ask silly questions here!

Thanks especially Mark, now I never have to ask this silly question again!

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
          X